South Sudan, Juba,
June 11, 2021 – The South Sudan Opposition Movements Alliance (SSOMA) has threatened to pull out of the Rome peace talks with claims of assassination plots targeting its senior members.
The political umbrella says it has no longer has any intention to engage in peace talks with its partner unless assurance is made by regional leaders to guarantee the safety of their targeted members and leaders residing in neighboring countries.
Last month, Thomas Cirilo-led National Salvation Front, also a member of SSOMA, boycotted peace talks under the auspices of the Community of Sant’Egidio, citing the assassination of Gen. Abraham Wana who disappeared in April at his home in Kampala, Uganda.
SSOMA Secretary-General, Emmanuel confirmed that they have no problem negotiating but on the condition that the demand for security guarantee is met from regional countries before resuming talks.
“The coalition demands guarantees, without these guarantees, we will not resume the next round. We are not ready to sit at the negotiating table with the government in light of its continued assassination [plots] targeting coalition leaders,” Ajawin said.
In a statement seen by Nyamilepedia, Ajawin stressed that they have received an invitation for peace talks scheduled on June 28, 2021, until the 1st of July 2021. However, he said the participation of their coalition in the talks shall be determined by the response of regional leaders to their demands.
The coalition, which consists of the holdout groups to the revitalized peace agreement, is negotiating separately with the government.
Although SSOMA signed the ceasefire agreement with the government last January, the two sides have engaged in skirmishes, especially in the Greater Equatoria region.
SSOMA consists of four political movements namely: The National Salvation Front (NAS); The National Democratic Movement-Patriotic Front (NDM-PF); The South Sudan National Movement for Change/Army (SSNMC/A); and The United Democratic Revolution Movement/Army (UDRM/A).