Juba, South Sudan,
June 11, 2021 – The National Salvation Front (NAS) led by Gen. Thomas Cirilo Swaka is in scaled-up military operations against the South Sudan People’s Defense Forces (SSPDF) and civilians in Central Equatoria State, a senior army official said.
Maj. Gen. Lul Ruai Koang, the Spokesperson of SSPD in a statement shared with Nyamilepedia accused NAS of launching military offensives in two areas in Central Equatoria in the latest spate of attacks.
Ruai said the actions of NAS forces are in contravention of the agreement to the cessation of hostilities signed in Rome.
“The highest echelon of SSPDF would like to inform its rank and file, people of South Sudan, region and the international community of continuous and blatant violations of the Rome Agreement by NAS rebels,” part of the statement reads.
The spokesperson late last month and early June, an attack on SSPDF forces led to the loss of lives and weapons.
“In May and June 2021, NAS rebels scaled up offensive operations against our forces and civilian targets in different parts of Central Equatoria State including a surprise attack on Loka in the early hours of June 10th, 2021 followed by an ambush on Commando Unit along Loka – Lukurbang road. The unprovoked attack resulted in unnecessary loss of lives and weapons,” says the statement.
Ruai says NAS bears the responsibility of the ongoing insecurity threatening the fragile peace currently prevailing in the country.
“NAS is solely responsible for the deterioration of security situation and immense suffering of innocent people in Central Equatoria State,” Ruai said.
The Spokesman called on the ceasefire monitoring body in the country to investigate atrocities committed by NAS and hold them accountable.
“SSPDF reiterates its commitment to the Cessation of Hostilities Agreement and calls upon CTSAMM-VM to investigate and hold NAS accountable,” he said.