Privacy & Terms
Protection of Personal Information on Nyamilepedia
The executive director of Nyamilepedia is accountable for policies and practices pertaining to the management of personal information on our main website and any third party site that is directly managed or supervised at Nyamilepedia. He can be reached for complaints and inquires through this contact information
Third Party Cookies
In the course of serving advertisements through Nyamilepedia, our third-party advertiser may place or recognize a unique cookie on your browser. Any information gathered through such cookies can be used to improve service, make ads more effective, detect and defend against fraud and other security risks to protect users and partners. For more information on third party cookies visit Google Privacy and Terms or any of our list partners’ sites
Statement of Policy
It is the policy of Nyamilepedia to control the collection, use, and disclosure of any personal information in accordance with all requirements set out in the Privacy Act. The Privacy Act does not apply to personal information that Nyamilepedia collects, uses, or discloses only for journalistic, artistic or literary purposes.
The following requirements shall be met by Nyamilepedia unless exempted by the Privacy Act or media guidelines of the country of operation.
Collection of Personal Information
Unless otherwise authorized by the Privacy Act
- No personal information shall be collected by Nyamilepedia unless it relates directly to an operating program or activity of Nyamilepedia Press.
- Nyamilepedia Press shall, wherever possible, collect personal information that is intended to be used for an administrative purpose directly from the individual to whom it relates except where the individual authorizes otherwise.
- Nyamilepedia shall inform any individual from whom it collects personal information of the purpose for which the information is being collected.
Retention of Personal Information
Personal information that has been used by Nyamilepedia Press for an administrative purpose shall be retained for such period of time after it is so used as may be prescribed by regulation in order to ensure that the individual to whom it relates has a reasonable opportunity to obtain access to the information.
Accuracy of Personal Information
The Nyamilepedia Press shall take all reasonable steps to ensure that personal information that is used for an administrative purpose is as accurate, up-to-date and complete as possible.
Disposition of Personal Information
Nyamilepedia Press shall dispose of personal information under its control in accordance with the regulations and with any directives or guidelines issued by the designated minister in relation to the disposal of that information and with its corporate retention schedule. Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
Personal information under the control of Nyamilepedia shall not, without the consent of the individual to whom it relates, be used or disclosed by Nyamilepedia except for the purpose for which the information was obtained or compiled or for a use consistent with that purpose unless otherwise authorized by the Privacy Act. In certain circumstances personal information subject to the Privacy Act may be used, or disclosed without the knowledge or consent of the individual concerned. Such circumstances include, but are not limited to personal information used or disclosed:
- for the purpose for which the information was obtained or compiled by Nyamilepedia or for a use consistent with that purpose;
- to officers or employees of Nyamilepedia for internal audit purpose, if any;
- where disclosure would clearly benefit the individual to whom the information relates.
- Nyamilepedia will comply to disclose personal information to serve public interest and when so required by a legitimate court of law or investigative body specified in the regulations for the purpose of enforcing any laws or carrying out a lawful investigation.
Record of Disclosures
Nyamilepedia shall retain a record of any use of personal information contained in a personal information bank, in our encrypted intelleak or any use or purpose for which that information is disclosed where the use or purpose is not included in the statements of uses in the personal information index
Access to Personal Information
Upon receipt of an official written request, the executive team of Nyamilepedia shall review the request and provide a right of access to personal information subject to the Privacy Act, whenever deemed necessary, to
- any personal information about the individual request or contained in a personal information docket or intelleak; and
- any other personal information about the individual request or under the control of Nyamilepedia Press with respect to which the individual is able to provide sufficiently specific information on the location of the information as to render it reasonably retrievable.
Individuals who are given access to their personal information may
- request correction of the personal information where the individual believes there is an error or omission therein;
- require that a notation be attached to the information reflecting any correction requested but not made; and
- require that any person or body to whom that information has been disclosed for use for an administrative purpose within one years prior to the time a correction is requested or a notation is required under this subsection in respect of that information
- be notified of the correction or notation, and
- where the disclosure is to a government institution, the institution make the correction or notation on any copy of the information under its control.
Refusal of Access to Personal Information
Nyamilepedia Press may refuse access to personal information as provided by the Privacy Act where such information, among other circumstances:
- When the request was not officially made.
- is subject to solicitor client privilege
- is part of or relates to an investigative record where disclosure could be injurious to the enforcement of a law or the conduct of investigation.
- Where disclosure threatens the safety of individuals.
All contributors of Nyamilepedia, who collect, maintain and/or use personal information, are responsible for insuring that the collection, use and disclosure of this information is carried out in accordance with this policy and relevant media guidelines.
Privacy on the Internet
In the interest of our contributors and general readership of Nyamilepeida Press, Nyamilepedia respects the privacy of all internet users and will do any much as necessary to protect that privacy and right of expression.
Nyamilepedia will collect only information that is voluntarily provided by the user and undertakes that such information will be kept strictly confidential. Individual information provided to the Nyamilepedia to gain access to any of our sites will not be sold or made available to a third party unless required by law.
Although currently under moderation, Nyamilepedia users need to be aware that certain non-personal information and data may be automatically collected by the website through the operation of what are called “cookies”. “Cookies” are small text files that identify an individual computer’s browser entering a web site. They allow the site to track that browser’s movement through the site over several sessions. Please note that Nyamilepedia has not currently installed cookies on our websites, however, the browser or a third party may.
If you do not want cookies placed on your computer, you may disable cookies altogether by modifying the Preferences section of your Netscape or Internet Explorer browser (under Edit/Preferences/Advanced). Note that it is possible that some aspects of Nyamilepedia site may be unavailable to you if you choose this option.
If you have no problem accepting cookies, but wish to be informed of their appearance, you may turn on a warning prompt by modifying the cookie warning section in Edit/Preferences/Advanced.
Nyamilepedia’s privacy provisions are based on the CSA International’s Model Code for the Protection of Personal Information, 1996. The standard addresses the ways in which organizations collect, use and disclose personal information. It also addresses the rights of individuals to have access to their personal information and to have it corrected if necessary.
The code states the following 10 principles as:
An organization is responsible for personal information under its control and shall designate an individual or individuals who are accountable for the organization’s compliance with these principles.
The purposes for which personal information is collected shall be identified by the organization at or before the time the information is collected.
The knowledge and consent of the individual are required for the collection, use or disclosure of personal information, except where inappropriate.
The collection of personal information shall be limited to that which is necessary for the purposes identified by the organization. Information shall be collected by fair and lawful means.
Limiting Use, Disclosure, and Retention
Personal information shall not be used or disclosed for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual or as required by law. Personal information shall be retained only as long as necessary for the fulfillment of these purposes.
Personal information shall be as accurate, complete, and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used.
Personal information shall be protected by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
An organization shall make readily available to individuals specific information about its policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
Upon request, an individual shall be informed of the existence, use and disclosure of his or her personal information and shall be given access to that information. An individual shall be able to challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information and have it amended as appropriate.
An individual shall be able to address a challenge concerning compliance with the above principles to the designated individual or individuals accountable for the organization’s compliance.