Dec 7, 2020(Nyamilepedia) — Sudan will not accept the second filling of the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam without an agreement saying it will pose a security threat to the country.
According to Sudanese Irrigation and Water Resources Minister Yasser Abbas, Ethiopia should not embark on the filling of the dam until the three countries enter into a legally binding agreement on how it will be operated.
“We will not accept from Ethiopia that it goes ahead and starts a second filling in the Renaissance dam without first reaching a binding agreement, and consequently poses a threat to the security of Sudan,” Mr Abbas said.
The acting foreign minister Omar Qamareldeen ruled out military action saying that the country-preferred arbitration, affirming Sudan’s stand.
“The use of force is rejected by Sudan. We will take the option of arbitration if we reach the end of the line without an agreement.” Said Omar Qamareldeem.
Last month, Sudan pulled out of the negotiations after Egypt and Ethiopia rejected its proposal that African water and river experts be given a more proactive role in the negotiations.
Mr Qamareldeen added that Sudan’s withdrawal from the negotiations was meant to show their seriousness on their stand in the negotiating table.
“Sudan’s withdrawal from the negotiations was designed to highlight a specific position,” Mr Qamareldeen said, suggesting Khartoum could soon return to the next round of talks.
He said Sudanese Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok was in constant contact with the leaders of Egypt and Ethiopia to narrow their differences.
Ethiopia is planning to store 13.5 billion cubic metres during the months of July and August next year, the peak of the annual flood season.
Sudan wants Ethiopia to agree on close co-operation on running the nearly completed hydroelectric dam to avoid flooding or damage to its own power-generating dams on the Blue Nile.