June 27th 2019 (Nyamilepedia) – South Sudan’s National Pre-transitional Committee (NPTC) has said that the body is experiencing shortage of funds that would enable them to carry out the implementation of the revitalized peace agreement viable for the pre-interim period.
South Sudan government and opposition groups last month agreed to extend the pre-transitional period for another six months to enable for the completion of important provisions of the peace deal.
At the time, the parties were meeting in the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa and the government had pledged to allocate $100 million for the peace process.
However, as a blow to the implementation of the revitalized peace agreement, the government has only paid $2 millions of those money and which has already been spent on cantonment of forces that has not been completed so far.
Speaking during a workshop conducted in Juba on Wednesday NPTC deputy chairperson, Gabriel Changson Chang said resources are still not available.
“We are left with four months, [and] it has become a real challenge with resources not available,” Changson said at the workshop.
“This challenge will be more critical as we move forward,” he added.