October 5th 2018 (Nyamilepedia) – The last remaining batch of ex SPLA-IO combatant who were stranded in Congo have been relocated to a third country according to the United Nations Organizations Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo of Congo (MONUSCO).
SPLA-IO fighters who left Juba after being dislodged in the capital Juba following the fighting in July 2016 had been seeking refuge in the DRC under the care of the UN mission there.
According to a brief statement seen by the Nyamilepedia, the Spokesperson for the
United Nations Organizations Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo
(MONUSCO) Florence Marshal said the stranded group left the United Nations premises on Thursday, morning, for different destinations including South Sudan.
“Today the last 12 remaining members left the camp for several destinations including South Sudan,” said Florence Marshal.
The remaining group of 12 people who will be reunited with their family members, were among a total of 774 ex-combatants who had been in exile in DRC for two years.
South Sudan government and opposition groups signed a peace deal last month in the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa following a regional efforts to end the five-year old brutal conflict in the country.