April 18, 2021(Nyamilepedia) – In what could amount to violation of the Revitalized Agreement of the Resolution of the Conflict in South Sudan, President Salva Kiir Mayardit promoted senior military officials to new ranks and positions.
Among the individuals who received promotions were Major General Akol Khor Kuch who was promoted to the rank of Lt. General and kept in his current position as the head of the Internal Security Bureau, and Lt. Gen. Santino Deng Wol who was promoted to the rank of General and promoted to the position of the Chief of South Sudan People Defence Forces.
Both Gen. Santino Deng Wol and Lt. Gen. Akol Khor Kuch are sanctioned by world bodies that include the UN Security Council, United States and European Union.
In the same reshuffling, April 10, 2021 president Kiir also relieved the Director for General Intelligence Bireau – GIB or External Security, Gen. Thomas Duoth Guet and replaced him with Gen. Simon Yien Makuach.
With these reshufflings, the new army and security leadership structures look as follow:
- Gen. Santino Deng Wol – Chief of Defence Forces,
- Lt. Gen. Thoi Chany Reat – Deputy Chief of Defence Forces,
- Lt. Gen. Peter Dor Manjur – Inspector General,
- Lt. Gen. Ring Tueny Mabor – Director of Military Intelligence,
- Lt. Gen. James Koang Chuol Ranley – Director for Training,
- Lt. Gen. Butrus Bol Bol – Director for Operation,
- Lt. Gen. Marshal Stephen Babaden – Commander of Ground Forces,
- Maj. Gen. Malual Majok Chiengkuac Jok – A/CDF for Administration and Finance,
- Maj. Gen. Rabb Majong Emmanuel – A/CDF for Air Forces and Air Defence,
- Maj. Gen. Thayip Gatluak Taitai – Commander of Reverine Force,
- Maj. Gen. Ernest Dut Wol Opieu – A/CDF for Logistics and Procurement,
- Maj. Gen. Thiik Aciek Hol – A/CDF for Moral Orientation and Chaptainship
President Salva Kiir also relieved the minister in his office, Hon. Nhial Deng Nhial and replaced him with Dr. Marial Benjamin, and sacked the deputy Minister of Defense and replaced him with Lt. Gen. Chol Thon Balok.
Three of the victims of the April 10th decrees, Lt. Gen. Malek Reuben, who is also sanctioned by the UN Security Council, Lt. Gen. Thomas Duoth Guet and Gen. Johnson Juma Okot were deployed as ambassadors as follow:
- Lt. Gen. Malek Ruben – South Sudan Ambassador to Eritrea 🇪🇷.
- Lt. Gen. Thomas Duoth Guet – South Sudan Ambassador to Kuwait 🇰🇼.
- Lt. Gen. Johnson Juma Okot – South Sudan Ambassador to Belgium 🇧🇪.
On April 12, 2021, H.E. President Salva Kiir Mayardit sworn in General Santino Deng Wol as the Chief of South Sudan people’s Defence Forces, General Simon Yien Makuac as the Director General of General Intelligence Bureau, National Security Service, Hon Dr. Marial Benjamin as the Presidential Affairs Minister and Hon. Mary Lodira Alphonse as the Deputy Governor of Eastern Equatoria State.
The swearing in ceremony was administered by the Chief Justice Chan Reech Madut in the Office of the President before H.E. President Salva Kiir Mayardit, First Vice President Dr. Riek Machar Teny, senior government officials and heads of National Security organs.
Hon. Chol Thon Balok was not sworn in as the Deputy Minister of Defence and Veteran Affairs because he was not present in the Country but he will take his oath of office when he returns back to the Country.
Upon successful reshuffling president Salva Kiir gave himself a three days “working visit” to Pretoria, South Africa, where he spent April 15 to April 18, 2021.
According to the revitalized peace agreement, president Salva Kiir and other heads of armed oppositions are not supposed to promote and deploy military personnel until the process of the unification of the forces is successfully completed; however, there is little hopes that the armies will ever be unified as spelled out in the Revitalized Peace Agreement.