Oct 20, 2014(Nyamilepedia) — At the invitation of the Chairman of the sisterly party, the Chama Cha Mapinduzi(CCM), Ndugu Jakaya Mrisho Kikwete, we as members of the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement met in Arusha, the United Republic of Tanzania between Oct 12 – 18, 2014 to discuss and prepare a framework on the root causes of the internal crisis within the SPLM, which has plunged the country into the current civil war.
The meeting was facilitated by the Secretary General of CCM, Ndugu Abdulrahman Kinana. The participants discussed and jointly prepared the key elements of the framework for Intra-SPLM Dialogue:
- Rules of Engagement
- Role of CCM (Facilitator)
The results of the lengthy and cordial discussions are summarized as followed:
- The parties acknowledge a collective responsibility for the crisis in South Sudan that has taken a great toll on the lives and property of our people. The Parties also acknowledge that dialogue, rules and procedures are the only means to resolve the internal differences and lack of consensus over important party issues among SPLM leaders.
- The parties underline the important role of the SPLM as the party that led the national liberation culminating in freedom and independence of South Sudan. The parties also underscore the fact that a divided SPLM will automatically fragment the country along ethnic lines and regional fault lines. Therefore the crisis must be urgently brought to an end by the SPLM collective leadership through genuine and honest dialogue that put the interest of the people and the nation above all.
- The parties commit themselves to an agenda and timelines for a follow up meeting scheduled to take place within a fortnight with the aim of expediting the process with utmost efficiency, determination and commitment.
- The parties recognize that the Arusha process is essentially an Intra-SPLM Dialogue and is separate and distinct from the IGAD mediated peace talks among South Sudan stakeholders. Yet the parties are fully aware that the two processes, although separate, are mutually reinforcing.
- The parties take this opportunity to thank Comrade Chairman of CCM, the Secretary General, the entire membership of CCM and the people of the United Republic of Tanzania for the hostility and their concern over the crisis in our country and the commitment to assist the SPLM to resolve its political and organization crisis.
The parties appreciate the willingness of the two Comrades, President Salva Kiir Mayardit and Dr. Riek Machar Teny for agreeing to this initiative and send high level delegations to the intra-SPLM Dialogue. The parties also appreciate the active participation of all the delegations in this process.
The parties register vote of thanks to the Crisis Management Initiative (CMI) for supporting this dialogue.