Amb. Kuajien Lual Wechtuor,
July 22, 2016(Nyamilepedia) —- Since the signing of the agreement on resolution of the conflict in South Sudan (ARCISS) on the 17th and the 26th of August 2015 respectively by SPLM-IO, SPLM/A-IG and FPD to restore stability to the young nation after a two years devastating imposed civil war caused by SPLM/A-IG coordinated state policy in Juba, the SPLA-IG shown no peace interest. It is important to mention that SPLM/A-IG had signed the agreement unwillingly after placing many point of reservation while describing the agreement as “it’s not a Bible or Quran,” meaning that SPLM/A-IG can violates it as at any time as their reservations required.
The Presidential Order No. 36/2015 for creation of illegal 28 States in the Republic of South Sudan replacing existing legal 10 states was against the spirit and letter of Peace agreement, a clear violation to the Constitution and agreement. The world did not even little than putting Dr. Machar life on fire on his return to Juba. On arrival of SPLM-IO Advance Team in Juba in December 2015, people confided that a real peace was going to be in place and soon the IDPs may returns homes.
But few weeks later to more months there was no progress given the SPLM/A-IG inconsistence behavior toward peace and coming of Dr. Machar to Juba. SPLM/A-IG defiance was widened by the disagreement and rejection made by many peace partners on appointment of 28 states governors and dissolution of 10 states by President Kirr. That unilateral decision was condemned by SPLM/A-IO, African Union, IGAD, TROIKA and European Union as a clear violation of the signed peace agreement an indication that president is not committed to the peace implementation. But JMEC failed to reverse Kiir decision
The reasons to believe that conspiracy theory to assassinated Dr. Machar planned could be inferred from SPLM-IG demand of reduction of the number of SPLM/A-IO forces (2,910 soldiers) that were supposed to travel to juba per agreement prior to Dr. Machar arrival in Juba to only 1,370 with limited AK-47 and tens light machine guns. This was quickly signed by SPLM/A-IG and Gen. Taban Deng without consultation of SPLM/A-IO Chairman and Commander-in-Chief. First Vice President accepted to go Juba for the sake of restoring peace and stability in the country, despite the outcries from SPLM/A-IO world.
In April 26, 2016, Dr. Riek Machar Teny Dhurgon came to Juba while-after only 1,370 guards, armed with limited AK-47 and light machine guns airlifted to Juba. His Excellency Dr. Riek Machar Teny Dhurgon arrived and sworn in as First Vice President which marked the beginning of Transitional Government of National Unity.
In the present of silent world leaders, JMEC, IGAD, Troika and UN, SPLM/A-IG placed lot of obstacles in a violation of peace agreement as follow:
- refusal to reverse illegal tribal 28 states to original legal 10 states;
- re-militarizing Juba, instead demilitarizing Juba as per the agreement;
- refusal of cantonment of SPLA-IO in Equatoria and Bahrelghazal;
- blocking TGoNU’s transitional constitutional making process;
- rejected reconstitution of Transitional National Legislative Assembly;
- Unilateral appointment of 10 presidential advisers from SPLM/A-IG;
- The SPLA-IG intensified its brutal war in Bahr Elghazal (Wau & Raja) and Equatoria region (Mundri, Ezo, Yambio, etc) and some SPLA-IO positions in Greater Upper Nile in a clear violation of the peace agreement;
- Denying office for the First Vice President to carry out his duties.
- The Presidency agreed on many issues at each presidency meeting but never been operational. This show that the president is not Kiir in the meeting but a group presidency at home, not in the meeting;
- Kiir SPLA-IG has in Juba as more as over 40,000 troops, plus Darfur rebels, equipped and accompanied by many attack Gunship Helicopters, Drone, over 100 tanks and heavy Artillery with enough war ammunition;
- From July 1st to 6th 2016 calculated death of peace started in Juba with killing of two SPLM/A-IO officers Lt. Col. George & Lt. Domach Koat Pinyin by SPLA-IG. In those days, Kiir forces continued stablished illegal checkpoints, ordered to shots & seized SPLA-IO cars. These illegal Checkpoints had been a source of harassment on SPLA-IO and random shooting of SPLM/A-IO vehicles and also the same to the shooting of US embassy vehicle;
- On July 7, 2016 SPLA-IG set-up road blocks all over Juba. In the same day, over hundreds SPLA-IG stopped Machar’s 10 guards and ordered their arrest thereof. But Dr. Machar guards resisted. To enforce arrest order with intention to implement the pre-planned move, SPLA-IG fired guns first on SPLA-IO guards and injured two of them. The remaining 8 guards responded in self-defense and killed 5 from SPLA-IG, and wounded 8 of them;
- On July 8, 2016, President Kiir called a meeting with FVP Dr. Machar and VP. Wani in Presidential Palace in Juba. Dr. Machar went accompanied by only a platoon of 30 protection guards. Meanwhile, Salva Kiir, as unusual as had over 250 bodyguards. Within less than 20 minutes in the meeting, huge forces appeared with two trucks and more, joined up with Kiir bodyguards and started shootings at SPLA-IO 30 bodyguards. The fighting lasted about 1-2 hours. Kiir forces lost hundreds; Dr. Machar bodyguards lost 21 plus;
- At the time while fighting raging on in and around presidential palace known as J1, SPLA-IG and militias attacked SPLA-IO at their Jabel base backed by gunship Helicopter, tanks and with heavy Artilery, but SPLA-IO guards defeated SPLA-IG and overran their nearby two camps late noon;
- On 9th – 12th July the SPLA-IG continuing attacking SPLA-IO in both sites through many directions. The SPLA-IG indiscriminately bombarded Dr. Machar bases and his residence with gunship helicopters throughout the 4 days fighting but badly equipped 1,370 SPLA-IO forces repulsed them, until unilateral cease fire ordered. Now, SPLA-IG still hunting-down our chairman.
In conclusion, the recent eruption of the fighting was a pre-calculated move by the SPLM/SPLA-IG which started with the killing of SPLM/A-IO officers on July 2nd by Salva Kiir’s Military Intelligence forces. On July 8th-12th Assassination attempt on First Vice President H.E. Dr. Machar’s life is a well-planned by Kiir, Malong and the Dinka Council of Elders (JCE) working behind the door of a failed president Kiir. There is no question of how it’s a planned and coordinated assassination attempt like was the coordinated Juba ethnic cleansing state policy in December 2013.
SPLM/A-IO German mission urges the international community to consider those outlined event and reject Salva Kiir’s naked premises that he “want to avert more bloodshed and assured protection to First Vice President Riek Machar … “has called for direct talks with first vice-president, Riek Machar,” saying he detests further bloodshed in the young nation” or safe Dr. Machar life in J1. Both wars; 2013 and 2016 are solely caused by him, Salva Kiir. He wanted more bloodshed. So he must be stopped.
SPLM/A-IO call upon international community to bring back peace to South Sudan and return of Dr. Machar to Juba to avoid South Sudan disintegrating in enclave nations:
- There should be an immediate intervention force, a third party force, that should be deployed in Juba;
- Juba must be demilitarized free from any forces. Both SPLA-IG and SPLA-IO be equally deployed 25 KM away from Juba center, same in 10 states;
- International community should this time have to direct any blame on SPLM/A-IG given the outlined SPL/A-IG anti-peace behaviors as in the above.
The well-planned July 2016 assassination reasons were as clear as:
- Salva Kiir and Paul Malong thought that the only 30 SPLA-IO guards those accompanying FVP and Commander-in-Chief Dr. Machar on 8th July to J1 would had feared for their lives to surrender Dr. Machar as a sacred Lamb to spare their lives. Unfortunately, they were proved wrong facing unaverred defense causing SPLA-IG hundreds deaths comparing with only twenty-one deaths at the side of SPLA-IO, despite the small number the SPLA-IO Guards were on 8th July’s J1 clashes;
- If Kiir and Malong succeeded killing Dr. Machar on 8th, then peace, justice and accountability would have been a gone story. The genetic of all wars are meant to kill peace and accountability, and power grief, nothing else;
- 28 states should then remain, better no peace for 28 states;
- President Kiir to order UN peace keeping troops to leave South Sudan with immediate effect;
- Kiir would also ordered the Chairman of JMEC to leave South Sudan too by now;
- the conspiracy and successful chasing away the SPLM/A-IO Chairman and Commander-in-Chief engineered by President Sava Kiir’s faction is to divide the SPLMA-IO, and to dismantle the August 2015 peace agreement using them. Now SPLM/A-IO members in Juba are rounded in Hotels and in danger of killing, either must surrender to talk Salva Kiir languages to replace FVP Dr. Machar with Gen. Taban Deng Gai (SPLM/A-IO former Chief Negotiator and IO TGoNU Mining Minister) or else are killed;
- Ironically, the First Vice President of the Republic of South Sudan, Chairman and Commander-in-Chief of SPLM/A-IO, H.E. Dr. Riek Machar Teny Dhurgon dismissed Taban Deng Gai from the SPLM/SPLA-IO, also withdrawn and recalled him from Minister of Mining, and directed all SPLA-IO commanders and units to cut off communication with Mining Minister, General Taban Deng Gai, and few individuals with him who are behind assassination conspiracy engineered by President Sava Kiir’s faction;
SPLM/A-IO German Mission stand firm behind H.E. First Vice President of the Republic of South Sudan, Chairman & C-in-C of SPLM/A-IO Dr. Machar. The Mission urges all peace loving South Sudanese and international community (Germany and EU) to support H.E. FVP of the Republic of South Sudan, Chairman and C-in-C Dr. Machar in struggle for peaceful and Federal nations-state, South Sudan.
Kuajien Lual Wechtuor,
SPLM/A-IO Representative to Germany,