‘The failure to meet the deadline for establishing a transitional government in South Sudan is unacceptable and puts millions of people’s lives at risk,’ said Foreign Minister Børge Brende.
August 12, 2014(The Olso Times) — Commenting after the previously agreed deadline of 10 August to secure peace for the people of South Sudan expired, Mr Brende said:
‘I am deeply concerned that the parties have failed to stop the hostilities and form a transitional government of national unity, as agreed by the regional leaders in June. Despite the efforts of the mediation team, neither the South Sudanese Government nor the SPLM have engaged seriously in the peace talks during the 60-day period. Along with our troika partners from the United Kingdom and the United States, I condemn the negligence shown by the parties.’
Peace talks have been underway for seven months. Throughout this period, the war has continued and the people of South Sudan have continued to suffer. Millions of people have been displaced and there is a real risk of famine.
‘I condemn the recent clashes in Maban County, in which at least six humanitarian aid workers were killed, and am especially concerned by reports that civilians may have been systematically targeted because of their ethnicity,’ Mr Brende said.
Regional leaders have previously called for punitive measures if the parties failed to secure peace by the agreed deadline.
‘I call on the Intergovernmental Authority on Development, the African Union and the UN Security Council to take immediate action to bring peace to the people of South Sudan,’ Mr Brende said.