September 11, 2015 (Nyamilepedia) – According to latest reports received by Nyamilepedia from Equatoria front, SPLA/IO forces operating in the area have repulsed attack by government soldiers on their bases near Lainya County and Wonduruba Payam.
Government soldiers then went on a rampage killing dozens of civilians including women and children in Lainya which is home to Government Minister of Cabinet Affairs Martin Elia, several women have also been raped by the government soldiers according to the report received by our reporters.
The attack which is the latest in series of violations of a permanent cease-fire by Salva Kiir’s government forces since a peace agreement was signed at the end of August to stop the war ravaging the worlds youngest nation.
“Today … government soldiers… attacked our bases in Mangkaro, Mengel and Katigiri in Central Equatoria. This is an indication that some insider within Kiir’s government does not respect his order to observe the ceasefire after signing the deal on August 26”. said rebel commander Major Gen. John Kenyi
Fighting between government and armed opposition broke out in Equatoria since Wednesday evening when government forces attacked rebel controlled areas, it’s not clear why the government forces attacked when President Salva Kiir had already declared a cease-fire and the National Assembly also ratified the agreement.
Locals in the area say government forces made up of mostly Dinka from Bahr El Ghazal due to their language, attacked Wondruba Payam at around 8:00am in the morning, in an attempt to hunt for rebel sympathisers, but ended up killing innocent civilians in the area.
A rebel spokesperson in the area said the SPLA/IO fighting only in self-defence managed to repulse the attackers mostly from Warrap and Northern Bahr el Ghazal States who, raped and killed civilian women, children and the elderly predominantly of Pojulu tribe.
Several properties were also destroyed and the area was properly looted by the government soldiers according to the reports received by the reporter.
After being defeated in on Thursday and Friday morning, the government soldiers returned at around 7:00 PM local time on Friday and attacked the local population in what some locals described as heinous crimes committed by the Dinka soldiers in the area.
“They raped even the elderly women, they took all our belongings, by house was burned, now I don’t know where by family will go” said one local elder who said his name was Lasu
“Where is the peace which our president declared last week, where is that” Lasu Added
It’s believed to be an attempt by Kiir’s regime forces to try and recapture areas under South Sudan’s Armed opposition SPLM-IO in the area before the permanent ceasefire joint body is formed.
Rebel commanders warned they would be forced to retaliate in full force and occupy more areas if government forces continue to violate the peace agreement and cease-fire with impunity.
Members of the armed opposition in the area say it’s a desperate attempt by Kiir’s regime to regain territories controlled by rebels in two counties of central equatorial, they insist the government forces were repelled and badly beaten back on Wednesday and Thurday, so the government force returned to the area and descended on the local population in believe they were supporting the rebels.
On Thurday’s fighting rebel forces killed at least 11 government soldiers and injured dozens more, they also destroyed 5 Land Cruisers used by the troops whom they described as Mathiang Anyor, 1 Land Cruiser was captured in good condition according to the rebel commander John Kenyi.
“These pro-governments were repulsed with heavy losses in their attempt to take our territories, they thought of defeating us, but this was wrong calculation from the government,” General John Kenyi
The SPLM/IO is calling on IGAD and the international community to hold to account those trying to violate the peace agreement by violating the permanent cease-fire. They also called on President Kiir to put his house in order and control his soldiers especially his Chief of Staff Gen. Paul Malong who is believed to be against the peace agreement.