Breaking News News

South Sudan Opposition Alliance Reject IGAD Power Sharing Proposal

Dr. Lam Akol, a leading member of South Sudan Opposition Alliance and a former Minister of the Transitional Government of National Unity(Photo credit: VOA/File/Nyamilepedia)
Dr. Lam Akol, a leading member of South Sudan Opposition Alliance and a former Minister of the Transitional Government of National Unity(Photo credit: File/Supplied/VOA)

May 23rd 2018 (Nyamilepedia) – The South Sudan’s Opposition Alliance, a composition of 10 armed and non armed groups, have rejected the peace proposal presented by the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) mediation on Tuesday.

Briefing media houses in Addis Ababa, Emmanuel Taban, a leading member of the newly established opposition groups said the SPLM is pocketing 90% of power sharing and leaving just 10% for all other parties. To them, this is unacceptable.

“The IGAD proposal is giving 90% of power to the SPLM party whether in the government or in the opposition. The other opposition will take something 10% only, so this is unacceptable,” Emmanuel Aban said.

The IGAD peace proposal seek to divide power between Kiir’s government, Machar’s SPLM-IO, the South Sudan Opposition Alliance, former SPLM political detainees and other political parties under the government.

In a statement extended to the Nyamilepedia on Wednesday, Machar’s SPLM-IO said they rejected the proposal as well because the concept of IGAD bridging is not in consistent with the current realities on the ground.

“The leadership of the SPLM/SPLA (IO) would like to inform our members and the people of South Sudan at large that we have categorically rejected the IGAD “A BRIDGING PROPOSAL”. The contention of the SPLM/SPLA (IO) is that the Agreement on the Resolution of the Conflict in South Sudan (ARCISS) collapsed in July, 2016 and the concept of “Bridging” in not consistent with the current realities in South Sudan,” the statement said.
The statement argued that the IGAD proposal is a reward for the “regime in Juba” because it is an endorsement for the status quo which the group said is responsible for the collapse of the 2015 peace agreement in July 2016.
“The IGAD “A BRIDGING PROPOSAL”, is an endorsement of the status quo which emerged in Juba after the collapse of the ARCISS. The IGAD Proposal further rewards the regime in Juba for their intransigence throughout the peace process and for their well-documented role in precipitating the collapse of the ARCISS in July, 2016,” the statement further said.
For their part, the South Sudan Opposition Alliance rejected the peace proposal saying it rewards the SPLM party, irrespective of their factions, a 90% share of the agreement.
Initially the Opposition alliance was suppose to include the SPLM-FD, however, IGAD decided to keep those who participated in the August 2015 Peace Deal as separate entities leaving confusion if the FDs are still part of the alliance.
Despite that all these warring parties defected from the SPLM and they are expected to reunify at some point, power sharing, to them, should clearly demarcates borders until the SPLM Reunification Process succeeds.

Related posts

Church urges South Sudan rivals to settle outstanding issues


Citizens in Opposition Phow state celebrate Machar’s release


Domestic violence alarming divorce in Juba


Tell us what you think

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: