By Wesley Bokati Natana Abraham,
Dear Mr. Chairman,
May 13th, 2018(Nyamilepedia) — Recognizing the fact that many South Sudanese have died and several others displaced because of the current senseless South Sudanese conflict and being aware that all parties to this conflict have agreed that;
- The ongoing civil war must end through the High Level Revitalization Forum
- Sharing of responsibility (power sharing) as a principle for the formation of a new government.
- Recommitment to observe the Cessation of Hostilities Agreement signed on Dec. 21, 2017 and Being aware that all parties in dispute have not yet agreed on the following issues;
- The formula to form a new government (The idea of having a lean or expanded government remains unresolved)
- Security arrangements
- Dr. Riek Machar’s participation in the upcoming
- The dissolution of 32 states
I would like to recommend the following points to enable the mediators bring lasting peace in South Sudan;
- First, address the following key concerns:
- COHA violations
- Signing of the declaration of principles by all parties in dispute
- Detailed and honest investigation reports by CTSAMM of all violations to be presented during the negotiations
- The question of legitimacy of the 2015 peace agreement in light with the current constitutional and political developments in South Sudan.
- Participation of South Sudan Government in the IGAD Council of Minister’s meeting, while they are a party to the current conflict.
- Refusal of the government to return the country back to ten States as per 2015 peace agreement
- Secondly, release the SPLA/M IO Chairman Dr. Riek Machar with immediate effect and allow him to participate fully in the upcoming peace talks.
- Thirdly, take a position on the power sharing ratio: The best power sharing ratio is 40% positions for SPLA/M IO, 40% for South Sudan Government and 20% for opposition alliance.
- Fourthly, take a position on the issue of presidency: The best thing to do now is to maintain President Salva Kiir as the President, bring back Dr. Riek Machar as the First Vice President and maintain Dr. James Wani Igga as second Vice President.
- Fifthly, take a position on the issue of parliament: The best position is to dissolve the current parliament and reconstitute it with only 270 members coming from various constituencies.
- Six, take a position on the issue of cabinet formation: The best position is to maintain the current 30 ministries and maintain the 2015 power sharing ratio for sharing the ministries.
- Seven: Take a position on security arrangement: The best security arrangement is to get South Sudan Government army out of Juba town and allow UN Regional Protection Force to provide Security in Juba for both government officials and civilians.
Once the above mentioned issues are resolved in line with the recommendations I have made, the remaining issues will be easy to resolve.
Lastly, come up with a draft agreement and use a stick and carrot to make sure all parties to the dispute have signed it.
These are my humble suggestions to move the next round of peace process forward and lead it to an agreement.
Wesley Bokati Natana Abraham
Kogo Women Initiative for Children Empowerment
May 13, 2018
The statements, comments, or opinions published by Nyamilepedia are solely those of their respective authors, which do not necessarily represent the views held by the moderators of Nyamilepedia. The veracity of any claims made are the responsibility of the writer(s), and not the staff and the management of Nyamilepedia.
Nyamilepdeia reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author(s). To publish your article, contact our editorial team at email@example.com or at firstname.lastname@example.org or at email@example.com