Letter of Support for the Nomination of Gen. Johnson Olony Thubo for the Position of Governor of Upper Nile State.
H.E. Dr. Riek Machar Teny-Dhurgon,
First Vice President of the Republic of South Sudan and Chairman of SPLM-(IO).
July 30, 2020(Nyamilepedia) — We, the undersigned Representatives of SPLM-(IO) Chollo Caucus in Diaspora, would like to express our strong support to SPLM-(IO) leadership for nominating Gen. Johnson Olony Thubo for the position of the Governor of Upper Nile State during the transitional period.
On the other hand, we would like to condemn in the strongest terms possible the unfortunate attempts by President Salva Kiir to delay or reject the appointment of the Governor of Upper Nile State at this critical time in our political history.
Therefore, we would like to seize this opportunity to state the following:
1. According to Article 1.3.1 in the Revitalized-Agreement on the Resolution of the Conflict in the Republic of South Sudan (R-ARCSS), SPLM/A-IO has the right to nominate its candidates. Hence, the attempt of President Salva Kiir to delay or reject the appointment of Gen. Johnson Olony Thubo, is a blatant violation of the R-ARCSS.
2. It is a violation of the Protocol of Cessation of Hostilities in the R-ARCSS to accuse Gen. Johnson Olony Thubo as a warmonger, because he was not the only person, who was fighting in the war. This unfair and baseless accusation can create terrible crisis in Upper Nile State.
3. President Salva Kiir has no legitimate or moral ground to reject the appointment of Gen. Johnson Olony Thubo, who was fighting to defend the rights of his people, while at the same time, he did not hesitate to appoint in the Revitalized Transitional Government of National Unity (R-TGoNU), people like Mr. Taban Deng Gai and Mr. Michael Makuei Lueth, who had been internationally sanctioned for committing horrendous atrocities including war crimes and crimes against humanity.
4. The rejection of the appointment of Gen. Johnson Olony Thubo is a political diversion to hide the horrible crimes and the atrocities, which were committed by Apadang Dinka against the Chollo people including grabbing and inhabiting their ancestral land.
5. The situation in Upper Nile State, is very volatile and sensitive. Hence, President Salva Kiir should not allow himself to be misled by the anti-peace elements among Apadang Dinka, who are spreading hostile propaganda against Gen. Johnson Olony Thubo. This negative attitude cannot promote reconciliation and harmony among the different communities in Upper Nile State as stipulated in the Peace Agreement.
In conclusion, the people of Upper Nile State deserve to have a state government, which can help them to forget the miseries of war and enjoy the peace dividends. Therefore, we look forward for the appointment of Gen. Johnson Olony Thubo as Governor of Upper Nile State as soon as possible.
- Mr. William Goldiet, SPLM-IO Chollo Caucus, Canada
- Mr. Othow Awng, SPLM-IO Chollo Caucus, United States of America (USA)
- Molana Otha Akoch, SPLM-IO Chollo Caucus Australia
Cc: Chairperson of IGAD.
Cc: Chairperson of Commission of African Union (AU).
Cc: Troika (USA, United Kingdom and Norway).