Government disburses $40 million for security arrangements – Changson

SSOA leader, Gabriel Changson Chang speaking to reporters in Cairo on Thursday, March 14th 2019 (Photo: Dengdit Madut/Al-Maugif)

November 6th 2019 (Nyamilepedia) – South Sudan government has disbursed $40 million for the implementation of the security arrangements, a senior opposition official has said.

South Sudan government in May pledged to allocate $100 million to the National Pre-Transitional Committee (NPTC) for implementation of the security arrangements which the government couldn’t pay afterward.

In October members of the pre-transitional committee told a meeting of regional and international envoys gathering at a Hotel in Djibouti that implementation of the security arrangements (establishment of a unified national army, police and national security) was facing difficulties because of lack of funding.

The government only had paid $10 million of the money it allocated and the Troika, IGAD and the African Union as well as the European Union have urged the government several times to disburse the remaining $90 million to enable peace commission to do its work.

Changson Gabriel Chang, a controversial opposition leader said on Tuesday that the government has paid $40 million for the implementation of the security arrangements which is now a subject of controversy between President Salva Kiir Mayardit and opposition groups such as the SPLM-IO.

“So far I don’t have the exact report about government contribution, but the money is about $40 million US dollar,” Changson said.

Changson said the money will be used by the peace implementing body for establishment of cantonment sites and provision food items.

“That money has been received and will be spent on the establishment of cantonment sites and food purchase for cantonment sites.”

Advertisements

Leave a Reply