By Bishops, Inter-Faith Council,
Yambio, South Sudan.
PRESS RELASE: N.018CDTY/0015
November 04, 2015 (Nyamilepedia) — We the Inter-Faith Council for Peace in Western Equatoria State drawn from Bishops, Heads of Different Churches and Muslim Community paid a solidarity visit to Greater Mundri from October 29 – November 2, 2015.
Due the urgency of what we have seen, heard and experienced during our days in Mundri and its surroundings, we cannot rest nor wait but to announce to the People of South Sudan and people of Good Will to intervene timely, else, we risk losing thousands of lives.
- Our four to five days in Mundri gave us the chance to see for ourselves the misery and desperate situation of our people. As we speak already people are dying, especially children and elderly.
- For the last two months, greater numbers of people nearly over 80,000 have been living in the bushes and jungles of the region. Women and children are most affected and exposed various diseases and eminent starvation if no help is rushed. For example, just yesterday three pregnant mothers lost their newly born babies at birth and one child. We also saw a number of emaciated children some suffering from malaria as a result of the poor living condition; we are told it is the order of the day.
- What the people of Mundri need now more than anything include food, medicine, shelter and clean water.
- In order for the intervention to happen, there is need for the provision of security for both the people and humanitarian workers.
- Roads leading to the people must be made safe and open for the delivery of humanitarian aid and safety of the personnel should be safe-guarded. Specifically the blockade at Jambo should be removed with immediate effect.
- No military intervention at this crucial time in the situation of Mundri should be allowed, but humanitarian aid and dialogue with the dissatisfied community should be pursued.
- We call upon the Government and affected angry community to consider the BEST Option of Dialogue in resolving the situation.
- Finally we stress this human value: thus Feeling protected and secure is important to every child’s development. A safe place to sleep, clean water to drink, enough food to eat, medical care, and access to education help children grow into mature, healthy and productive adults.
- We call on all believers, the churches and Muslim communities to pray earnestly for the people of Greater Mundri.
Details of the PRESS RELEASE shall be released in near future. For more information, contact email@example.com