By Hon. Gabriel Changson Chang
Chairman and C-in-C of FDP/SSAF
02nd August 2016(Nyamilepedia) —– We refer to our letter on our proposal to IGAD-Plus and partners for IGAD Regional Intervention Force for South Sudan dated 16th July 2016 and our press release dated 14th July 2016 on the same
The leadership of Federal Democratic Party/ South Sudan Armed Forces (FDP/SSAF) has been loud and clear all along that President Salva Kiir and his First Vice President Dr. Riek Machar cannot reconcile the country which they destroyed in the first place. We voiced our strong opinion against their leadership of the TGONU to the IGAD-Plus and partners before and after signing of the August, 2015 Peace Agreement on South Sudan.
The Juba two massacres July, 2016 would have been averted had the two leaders were left out of the TGONU.
We have maintained all along that the three SPLM factions (IG, IO & FDs) lost confident among themselves and no political will to reconcile the country. The only window of opportunity to implement the agreement was to demilitarize Juba and other major towns and put the maintenance of law and order in the hands of a neutral force – UNMISS –IGAD.
[ad name=”Google Ads 03″]
What is the way forward in the light of Juba two massacres July, 2016….?????????
The Leadership of Federal Democratic Party/ South Sudan Armed Forces FDP/SSAF proposes the following to the IGAD-Plus (Region) and the Partners:-
Option 1. IGAD Regional Intervention Force (as opposed to Protection Force).
To stop the bloodshed and prevent the country from drifting into total chaos and a failed state. Regional Intervention force is not new to Africa. It saves lives and suffering of innocent civilians from the jaws of military dictatorship. A case to cite is West Africa Regional International Force that saved lives in Liberia and Sierra-leone.
“We want to remind the IGAD-Plus and partners that prevention is better than curein the Republic of South Sudan”
The mandate of the Regional Intervention Force.
- The IGAD-UNMISS forces to maintain law and order throughout the country until the restructuring of South Sudan law enforcement agents is completed.
- To oversee the establishment of an all inclusive and genuine TGONU under civil administration without President Salva Kiir and First Vice President Dr. Riek Machar.
- To oversee the restructuring of the security sector institutions to reflect South Sudan national diversity based on federal structure.
- To oversee the Resettlement of IDPs and refugees.
- To oversee the democratic transformation of governance system in the country.
- To oversee the establishment of Transitional Justice and accountability for war crimes and crimes against humanity.
- To oversee the development of comprehensive Macro-economic Recovery Policies and programs for South Sudan.
- To oversee the electoral processes before the end of the transitional period and the smooth and peaceful handover to the newly elected government – the reign of power in South Sudan.
- To oversee any other issues that may arise during the transition.
Option 2.Maintenance of current status quo.
In the event the first option is not viable in the eyes of the IGAD-Plus and partners for any reasons, the Leadership of Federal Democratic Party/ South Sudan Armed Forces (FDP/SSAF) would like to predict once again the following outcome;
The People of the Republic of South Sudan who are now being oppressed by Kiir regime (TGONU) may rise in their diversities in defence of their inalienable rights and freedoms using all means at their disposal to resist dictatorial policies, programs and practices perpetrated by Kiir regime (TGONU). As a result, the Republic of South Sudan shall immediately turn into chaos and lawlessness that may lead to a failed state status.
The IGAD-Plus and partners should declare the ARCISS as null and void because the FVP was forcefully dislodged from Juba by the forces of president Kiir and this forceful act has not been provided for in the ARCISS and therefore cannot be used as a pretext to replace the FVP.
The FDP/SSAF Leadership is not in any way defending the dismissed FVP but rather defending the ARCISS and the escalation of the conflict that may arise as a result of the forceful eviction of FVP and his forces from Juba.
What FDP/SSAF stands for in brief:
A South Sudan that is federally & politically united democratically governed, culturally harmonious, socially just, economically prosperous, environmentally rich, and secure in its sovereignty enabling all South Sudanese leaves peacefully to pursue their dreams.
A south Sudan where democracy is a way of life, where political power is peacefully exchange from one political party to another through the ballot box in free, fare, credible, peaceful and transparent election throughout the Republic of South Sudan.
In conclusion, the Leadership of FDP/SSAF calls on the IGAD-Plus and partners to intervene with “IGAD Regional Force” and be backed up by UNMISS forces currently stationed in South Sudan in order to save the Republic of South Sudan from drifting to a total failed state and save its people from killings, hunger and diseases.
The Leadership of FDP/SSAF is ready to engage with IGAD-Plus and partners on this proposal.
- TROIKA (USA, UK and Norway)
- EU, China & File
This article was written and edited by Hon. Gabriel Changson Chang, the Chairman and C-in-C of FDP/SSAF.