fbpx
Breaking News News Peace Process South Sudan

SPLA-IO Accuses SSPDF of attacking their bases in Central Equatoria

Sep 29, 2020(Nyamilepedia) — South Sudan’s main armed opposition, the SPLM/A-IO, accuses the SSPDF, formerly the SPLA-IG, of conducting offensives on their controlled areas with hopes to paralyse the revitalized peace agreement.

SPLA-IO deputy spokesman Brigadier General William Gatjiath Deng (Photo credit: supplied)
SPLA-IO deputy spokesman Brigadier General William Gatjiath Deng (Photo credit: supplied)

Addressing the media, the military spokesman of the SPLA-IO, Brig, Gen. William Gatjiath Deng, confirmed that the attack happened at 6:30am this morning.

“Today this morning at around 6:30AM, East African time, Moroto, a popular SPLA (IO) training center of Central Equatoria state, has been attacked by the (SSPDF).” Brig. Gen. Gatjiath said.

“It’s clear that since the regime turned down and procrastinating the security arrangements that would have  convinced the army and the whole nation, is a sign of complete mess that aims to turn the country back to war” He continued.

According to Brig. Gen. Gatjiath, the leadership of SPLA-IO will not condone any kind of violation or tactics that attempt to push their forces out of their controlled areas for the purpose of territorial gain.

Blaming the government, Brig. Gen. James Wal Chuol regrets that Juba is using the newly defected general, Maj. Gen. Moses Lokujo Gabriel, to pursue their military interest.

“It’s beyond doubt that the regime has shown its true colour in a Broad daylight by  pushing a vulnerable newly defected Maj.Gen. Moses Lokiju, to start a proxy operation in Equatoria.” Gen. James Wal said.

According to Brig. Gen. Gatjiath, the SPLA-IO led by Maj.Gen. John Mabieh Gaar has repulsed the government offensives.

“As a result, the SPLA (IO) gallant forces under command of Cdr.Maj.General John Mabieh Gaar, excessively stormed the rogue forces and chased them in disarray around Moroto bushes at 2:00PM.” Gatjiath said.

The SPLA-IO condemns the attacks in the strongest terms possible and calls on the peace guarantor to intervene to avoid further escalation of violence.

“The SPLA (IO) high command leadership has condemned the attacks in the strongest teams possible and still informing the South Sudan peace guarantors, to keep their eyes open and to take critical views on the current status because this direct belligerent may not only crippled the current agreement but also would leads to the demise and the collapsing of the agreement.” Gatjiath said.

The officer, who is alleged to be leading these offensives, Maj. Gen. Moses Lokujo, defected from the SPLA-IO last week.

Upon his defection, Lokujo returned to Kajo-Keji to mobilize elderly members of his community and local leaders to accompany him to Juba where he was going to make a press conference.

During the press conference, aired by South Sudan’s SSBC, Gen. Lokujo gave SPLA-IO four (4) days ultimatum to vacate the area with immediate effect or else they would risk fighting his forces. 

It has been four days(4) since Lokujo issued his orders and these offensives seem to be his fulfillment of such orders; however, none of the security mechanisms, IGAD, RJMEC and peace guarantors has responded.

Attempts to reach the SSPDF spokesman and Gen. Lokujo to respond to these SPLA-IO claims were not returned at the time of this writing.

Related posts

President Kiir welcomes a new head of UNMISS, Nicholas Haysom

Nyamilepedia

SSUF/A-Sunday de John appoints new executives replacing Malong’s orders

Nyamilepedia

Salva Kiir Swears In 10 Unilaterally Appointed Advisors As War Over 28 States Continues!

.

Tell us what you think

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: