May 7, 2020 (Nyamilepedia) — South Sudan’s parties to the revitalized peace agreement agreed during a meeting at the presidency on Thursday agreed on the allocation of state governors, a statement from the presidency said.
The meeting, presided over by President Salva Kiir and attended by the First Vice President Dr. Riek Machar and the other four vice-presidents resolved to give Kiir’s side six states, Machar’s SPLM-IO to have three states and one state will go to South Sudan Opposition Alliance.
Kiir’s SPLM-IG will take Unity state, Warrap state, Northern Bahr el-Ghazal state, Eastern Equatoria state, Central Equatoria and Lakes state.
The SPLM-IO will take Western Equatoria, Western Bahr el-Ghazal and Jonglei states.
SSOA will take Upper Nile state.
The meeting as well resolved to ease the partial coronavirus lockdown imposed in March following the discovery that the novel COVID-19 had reached the world’s youngest nation.
Below is the full text of the Presidency statement.
Republic of South Sudan
Office of the President
Statement of the Fourth (4th) Meeting of the Presidency
7th May 2020.
The Presidency held a meeting on the 7th of May 2020 in Juba under the auspices of H.E. Salva Kiir Mayardit, President of the Republic. And in attendance were H.E. Dr. Riek Machar Teny, 1st Vice President of the Republic, H.E. Dr. James Wani Igga, Vice President of the Republic, H.E. Hussein Abdelbaggi Akol, Vice President of the Republic, H.E. Taban Deng Gai, Vice President of the Republic and H.E. Rebecca Nyandeng De-Mabior, Vice President of the Republic. After thorough deliberations on the agenda and in the spirit of collegial decision making, the Presidency resolved as follows:
Resolution No. 1- On the Allocation of States:
A. The former ITGONU takes the following States:
1. Central Equatoria State
2. Eastern Equatoria State
3. Lakes State
4. Warrap State
5. Northern Bahr El Ghazel State
6. Unity State
B. SPLM/A-IO takes the following States
1. Jonglei State
2. Western Bahr El Ghazel State
3. Western Equatoria State SUDAN
C. SSOA takes the following States
1. Upper Nile State
ResolutionN o. 2- On the Status of COVID -19 The Presidency has decided to relax the rules and directives of the lockdown with respect to the following areas:
(1) Curfew time will start at 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. effective Friday, 8th May 2020.
(2) Restaurants and Bars will re-open during the non-curfew hours, but should strictly observe social distancing.
(3) Shops and Stores will re-open, but the sellers and buyers should observe social distancing and allow a maximum of at least five persons in a shop or store at a time.
(4) Boda Boda and Rickshaws transport will resume with only one passenger on a boda boda and two passengers for Rickshaws. However, both rider and passengers must wear masks.
(5) Internal travels by means of land, water and air shall resume soon. The High Level Taskforce on COVID-19 shall communicate details thereof.
(6)Regional flights and Road Transport shall resume, but details shall be communicated by the High Level Taskforce on COVID-19.
Resolution No. 3- On Financial Contribution.
The Presidency has approved the amount of $ 750,000.00 as contribution of the Republic of South Sudan to African Union Fund (AUF) to fight COVID-19.
The Presidency further approved the amount of $ 250,000 as contribution of the Republic of South Sudan to the Africa Centre for Disease Control (Africa CDC).