July 4th 2018 (Nyamilepedia) – An attack against humanitarian convoy in a government held territory has left one person, a driver, dead this Wednesday. The attack, according to the humanitarian organization, the UNICEF, occurred in Mangala, few kilometers outside Juba.
Mangala lies along the high way which connect Juba and Bor and it is being controlled by troops loyal to the South Sudanese government.
According to the UN agency, the convoy was carrying contractors when unidentified gunmen indiscriminately opened fire on moving trucks.
“We have received reports that two trucks belonging to a UNICEF contractor were assaulted by armed men,” the UNICEF said in a statement seen by the Nyamilepedia.
The UN agency said it was still trying to follow-up on the issue with the relevant authorities in an attempt to verify the attackers and nationality of the victim and condemned the action which derail the humanitarian access.
“This senseless attack directed against unarmed civilians working to deliver humanitarian supplies to those in need,” the statement further said.
Attacks on UN convoys and deaths of humanitarian aid workers have been on the rise since the onset of the county’s civil war in Dec 2013, hindering free passage for humanitarian agencies and making it more difficult for them to reach those who have been caught up in the ware zones.
President Kiir, SPLM-IO leader Dr. Riek Machar last week signed a permanent ceasefire agreement in the world’s youngest country but was violated fews hours after it came into force last Saturday.
The framework agreement signed last month, under the auspices of the Sudanese government by President Salva Kiir, the SPLM-IO leader, Dr. Riek Machar and other stakeholders, include some of the important issues such as free passage that would allow access for humanitarian organizations in the country and a permanent ceasefire.