fbpx
Latest News

Monitors say no full disengagement of forces in South Sudan

South Sudan soldiers in an unidentified locations (File/Supplied/Nyamilepedia)

December 17th 2019 (Nyamilepedia) – South Sudan peace monitors said on Monday that no full disengagement of forces has yet taken place as provided for in the peace agreement.

Last year, the government of President Salva Kiir signed a revitalized version of a 2015 peace deal with several opposition groups who sought to overthrow the regime. The agreement provided for the assembly and cantonment of forces before reunification.

That process has witnessed setbacks because adequate funding has not beet availed by the government despite a pledge in May to disburse $100 million dollars for implementation of the security arrangements.

Speaking during a meeting in Juba on Monday, the chairman of the Ceasefire and Transitional Security Arrangements, Monitoring and Verification Mechanism (CTSAMVM), Desta Abiche, said the disengagement of forces has not been fully carried out.

This means that there has yet to be full disengagement. CTSAMVM calls on the JDB to address this issue as a matter of urgency,” Abiche Ageno said.

He further blamed continued “lack of sufficient logistical support to cantonment sites – especially food and medicine has continued” for the delay in the implementation.

Related posts

South Sudan Opposition Alliance Reject IGAD Power Sharing Proposal

Nyamilepedia

Escalation of attacks by Lord Resistance Army of Joseph Kony displace DRC civilians into South Sudan

Editors

SOUTH SUDAN’S GOVERNMENT USING FOOD AS WEAPON OF WAR – UN REPORT

Nyamilepedia

Tell us what you think

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: