July 22nd (Nyamilepedia) – The official spokesman for the South Sudan’s Presidency, Ateny Wek Ateny, denied a trending social media rumor that he has been removed and subsequently put under house arrest.
For the last few days, social media content widely shared by South Sudanese users alleged that the Press Secretary in the office of the President has been removed and put under house arrest afterwards.
Speaking to the Nyamilepedia on Sunday, Ateny said he has not been removed nor put under house arrest as alleged by some social media users saying he is still caring on his duties as the Press Secretary.
“I am not under house arrest [and] I am not removed,” Ateny told the Nyamilepedia.
Early, Ateny took to Facebook to deny and renounce the “fake” news saying he is still caring on his duties as the Press Secretary in the office of the President freely.
“The news of my suspension and the subsequent house arrest are fake as the writer himself. I am doing my job as a very freeman like anybody in the government of National Unity. The Fake poster think he was making sense, but the truth is that he/she is doing harm to his/her own mental order,” Ateny wrote on his Facebook page.
Ateny, who is formerly a columnist for the citizen newspaper was appointed in 2012 by Kiir as the Press Secretary in the President’s office and he has since then remained in the position despite allegations of his dismissal.