June 13th 2018 (Nyamilepedia) – The Chinese government and the South Sudanese counterparts have agreed to a memorandum of understanding for the upgrading of the South Sudanese Broadcasting Corporation (SSBC) according to the director of the state-run news company.
James Magok, the director of the SSBC said the government signed a memorundum of understanding with the Chinese government on Tuesday for the development of the state-of-art studios and the broadcast tower.
The agreement was signed between representatives of the South Sudanese government from the state-run SSBC and officials fromthe Embassy of the People’s Republic of China in the capital Juba.
The Chinese State-run news agency, Xinhua reported that the project will cost an estimated budget of 15 million United States Dollar and it is due to kick-off in early 2019.
“It has remained now the ground work now to be done. the Chinese team was here to complete their feasibility studies,” the Director the South Sudan Broadcasting Corporation (SSBC) James Magok told the Eye Radio today.
He said the construction of new studios for the state-run broadcaster will render changes in services the SSBC gives to the public.
“By having new studios, it will make some changes in giving the services to the public and giving information to our people,” he said.
Before the Chinese government hand over the new building equipment, it will train the South Sudan journalists in how to use them.
The South Sudan Broadcasting Corporation was launched in 2008 and it was previously known as South Sudan Television (SSTV). It is the only TV broadcaster in the country after the closure of the independent Citizen TV.