South Sudan fears looming famine as floods destroy farms and displace farmers
September 3, 2020(Nyamilepedia) — South Sudan’s subsistence farmers in many rural areas especially in Jonglei State are now worried over their fates as floods sweep away their farms and began to affect their cattle.
Reports from independent organization indicate that many parts of South Sudan’s rural areas are being hit harder by the floods to an extend that the farmers are expecting very little from their farms, if any crops will survive.
The floods, which arrived as early as May this year, have destroyed many homes and property, and displaced thousands of people.
According to IRNA coordinated assessment reports extended to Nyamilepdia Press, most of the Greater Jonglei State is affected by the flood.
“The flooding occurrences is not only happening in Ayod County alone but Greater Jonglei State, leaving several villages devastated due to continuous heavy rainfalls and the pluvial and fluvial of River Nile water; some of the villages that are reported to be badly hit by the floods include; (Buot, Mhaar, Gorwai, Nyanepal, Wai, Padek, Kharmun, Jiech, Kandak, Mogok, Ayod Town, Kuachdeng, Kotdalok, Wechdeng, Wechdieng, Pagil, Normanyang, Haat, Wan-Machar, Menime, Keer and Nyawit) and the surrounding villages.” The IRNA’s 29-paged report highlights.
“The situation has worsened as the long rain intensely increased from the month of July and worsened in august and still ongoing. It is early known the flooding events in Ayod County in this are profoundly influenced by heavy rains.” The IRNA reports read in parts.
The IRNA report was generated by a number of agencies that include the CMD, CRS, HRSS, MEDAIR, EDA, SAADO, PASS, ALSI, UNCDR, INTERSOS and ROSS representing
Many residents across Jonglei State share the same experience.
A farmer in Bor county, Agot John, who spoke to media reiterated that the level of floodwaters in Bor county rose above the crops
“Floods have destroyed all crops on the farm. The level of floodwaters rose above the crops before harvests could be made. There was okra, tomatoes, cabbages, kale, and maize on this farm,” Agot John said.
Agot regrets that his efforts that he put into farming this year is now wasted as he expect almost nothing from this year’s harvest.
Authorities in number of counties across the country are appealing for humanitarian assistance to rescue many civilians that need immediate assistance.
“The whole place is full of water. Water has washed away everything in the farmlands especially in Greater Jonglei, Nyirol, and Pading, the situation is bad. In the coming period there will be no food,” said Makuei Puok, Nyirol County executive director.
“An acre produces 12 sacks of sorghum per farmer. But in Jonglei, 90 % of farmers will have no harvest. The remaining 10 percent if they succeed, they will not have drying grounds. The food situation will worsen in the coming months,” said Hon Atem De Gak Atem, the director-general in Jonglei state’s agriculture ministry.