Sudan’s al-Burhan says calls to dismantle security services aim to divide country

Chairman of Sudan's Transitional Military Council (TMC), General Abdel Fatah al-Burhan (File/Supplied/Nyamilepedia)

Chairman of Sudan’s Transitional Military Council (TMC), General Abdel Fatah al-Burhan (File/Supplied/Nyamilepedia)

January 9th 2019 (Nyamilepedia) – The head of Sudan’s Sovereignty Council, Gen. Abdel Fattah Burhan, has said that calls to dismantle security services are meant to divide the country pledging that he will “put things right” in regards to the armed forces.

He said this is one of the military component’s responsibilities in the Council, as stipulated by the constitutional document governing the transitional period in the country. El-Geneina and Port Sudan cities saw tribal clashes last week, leaving dozens of dead and wounded.

These incidents led to widespread criticism of the security services for not intervening to contain the events before their aggravation.

“Unfortunate events that had taken place over the past few days were intended to divide the country, which can only be achieved by dismantling its security services,” Burhan noted.

Addressing non-commissioned officers and police soldiers in Khartoum on Wednesday, Burhan promised to enact laws that reserve full rights for the police to perform their duties in preserving security in the country and for its citizens.

He called for foiling plots of those seeking to sow rift between official forces and the people.

“Armed forces, police forces, and security services have been patient despite all provocations in order to preserve the country’s security.”

He affirmed that police forces are carrying out their jobs to the fullest, stressing that they are not the people’s enemies. He also highlighted their role in containing the security unrest in Darfur region.

Meanwhile, Information Minister Faisal Mohammad Saleh, also government spokesman, said conflicting parties pointed to the involvement of members of the regular forces in the incidents that had taken place in Geneina city.

They resulted in the death of 64 and the injury of 60 others, according to United Nations statistics.

“Authorities have been working to identify these elements involved to lift immunity off them and bring them to court,” he said, stressing that this method will be used to deal with such conflicts.

In press statements on Wednesday, Saleh said the commission to investigate in Geneina incidents will finish its work soon, and authorities will begin bringing those involved to justice.

Tell us what you think

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.