Rebel group denies violating ceasefire deal – statement

Government troops moving alongside Juba/Bor Road January 2014 (File photo)

April 2nd 2019 (Nyamilepedia) – The holdout opposition rebel group, the National Salvation Front (NAS) led by Gen. Thomas Cirilo Swaka denied over the week a report released last week by the Ceasefire and Transitional Security Arrangements, Monitoring and Verification Mechanism (CTSAMVM).

Last week, the CTSAMVM Chairman, Gen Desta Abiche Ageno, accused the South Sudan People’s Defense Forces (SSPDF), and Cirilo’s NAS, of violating the Agreement on Cessation of Hostility (ACOH) calling for a process to end the hostilities between the two rival forces so as to avoid further bloodshed in the country.

“The SSPDF in reaction also violated the ACOH by failing to give CTSAMVM prior notification of its movement. It is becoming increasingly important to resolve the issue of the NAS forces of Thomas Cirillo and other armed groups operating in Greater Equatoria,” he said.

In respond, the NAS spokesman, Suba Samuel Manase, said in a statement seen by the Nyamilepedia on Saturday that the statements by Gen. Abiche were false and misleading saying they m should be rejected.

“It is false, misleading, and should be rejected in the strongest terms. NAS would like to know the verification procedure of CTSAMVM, and if at all there is a third party on whom CTSAMVM is relying on for information,” he said in the statement.