Machar’s SPLM-IO accuse government of ceasefire violations in most part of South Sudan

Government troops moving alongside Juba/Bor Road January 2014 (File photo)

October 15th 2018 (Nyamilepedia) – The main armed South Sudan opposition group, the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement in Opposition (SPLM-IO), led by the country’s former First Vice-President, Dr. Riek Machar Teny-Dhurgon, has accused the South Sudan army of violating peace agreement in multiple fronts in South Sudan.

This barely came a day after a rebel faction, the South Sudan Opposition Alliance (SSOA) led by National Salvation Front (NAS) leader Gen. Thomas Cirilo Swaka, accused South Sudan government of violating the ceasefire agreement in Western Bahr Al-Ghazal and Equatoria region.

In a statement issued on Sunday, the SPLM-IO Chairman for the National Committee for Foreign Relations, Stephen Par Kuol, said South Sudan government has continued to attack rebel forces stationed in many parts of the country including Equatoria and Unity State in violation of the permanent ceasefire agreement signed in June by Kiir himself and opposition leader Dr. Riek Machar.

“Since then,  Kiir’s  regime  has  continued  to  launch  aggressive  military  offensives  on  the SPLM/A (IO) defensive positions in Central Equatoria, Western Bahr-El-Gahzal and Unity States.  Most  recently,  the  regime  has  and  continues  to  launch  massive  attacks  in  the following  areas,  Agana;  Bori;  Kendiri;  Mangalatore;  Mundu;  Jamara;  Mboro;  Ngoku; Ngopere and Kupera resulting to more deaths and displacements within and outside South Sudan since September 13, 2018,” the statement partly read.

The statement further accused the South Sudan government of installing an anti-aircraft missile in Yei River state’s Lainya county to hinder the movements of peace monitors, the Ceasefire and Transitional Security Arrangement Monitoring Mechanism (CTSAMM).

“To consolidate its position Lainya especially which is strategic, Kiir’s Regime has installed an  anti-aircraft  in  Lainya  as  a  weapon  of  threat  and  intimidation  to  bar  CTSAMM  and UNMISS  from  flying  into  those  areas  for  investigation  of  these  violations,” the statement said.

It added that the the government in the process captured SPLA-IO based in Mundu, Lanya County on the second of October as well as attacking and capturing similar base in Ngoku in Western Bahr Al-Ghazal state two days later with similar attacks in Southern Unity.

“In  these unwarranted military offensives, the regime attacked and captured the SPLM/A (IO) base in Mundu, in Lainya County on October 2, 2018. The regime has also attacked and captured SPLM/A (IO) base in Ngoku in Wau Sate on October 4, 2018. In Unity State, the regime has been attacking SPLM/A (IO) positions in Mier Mier, Padeah and Guit since September,” the statement further said.

The statement further urged the region and the international community to keep its promise that it will hold accountable those who are violating and hindering South Sudan peace process during the 73rd UN General Assembly reiterating the SPLM-IO commitment to peace.