Government troops killed three women during Yei fighting

Members of SPLA seen talking to a woman in Kiir Adem(Photo credit: the Enough Project)

Members of SPLA seen talking to a woman in Kiir Adem(Photo credit: the Enough Project)

July 11th 2018 (Nyamilepedia) – South Sudan’s army, the Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLA), killed on Tuesday three civilians, all of whom were women, after attacking a territory held by the opposition forces loyal to the country’s former First Vice President, Dr. Riek Machar Teny-Dhurgon, a spokesman for the opposition governor of Yei River State said in a statement extended to the Nyamilepedia.
In a press statement he issued today, the spokesman for the opposition governor of Yei River State, Wayi Godwill Edward, said that the attacking solders opened fire on innocent women who were going to fetch water from a nearby water-point in the village of Lujulo in Yei’s Morobo county.
“SPLM (IO) leadership in Yei River State is disturbed by the brutal killing of three women by SPLA soldiers in Lujulo Payam of Morobo County. The murder of the three followed yesterday’s incursion by the SPLA into SPLM/SPLA (IO) territories in the area . On their way, the attackers found the three women while fetching water from a borehole, unfortunately, they opened gunfire killing them on the spot,” he said in the statement.
He also revealed that the attacking government forces raided a number of livestock among other valuable things.
“They also raided an unconfirmed number of cattle and other valuables and caused new displacements of the civilian population in the area,” he said.
The statement said the atrocities committed by the government forces violates the ceasefire agreement signed in December 2017 and the Permanent Ceasefire Agreement signed by Kiir and Machar in the Sudanese capital, Khartoum, last month calling on the CTSAMM and the UNMISS to investigate these incidents.
“These atrocious activities of the regime’s forces contradict and violate the commitment made by the parties to the conflict by signing the December 2017 CoHA, Permanent Ceasefire and the Security Arrangements in Khartoum. It also undermines the spirit of the ongoing negotiations on the outstanding governance issues aimed at bridging the gap in the HLRF. We unreservedly condemn this act of cowardice from the regime forces in Morobo Town and we urge CTSAMM, UNMISS and other Human Rights bodies not to sit on their jobs, but to investigate such incidents and bring the perpetrators to book”. The statement further Said