Full Text: New South Sudan power sharing proposal
July 11th 2018 (Nyamilepedia) – The Sudanese government on Tuesday unveiled a new power sharing peace plan that is, mostly, similar to the recently unveiled Entebbe proposal presented last week by the Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni and the Sudanese President Omar Hassan Ahmed Al-Bashir.
Nyamilepedia has obtained the new peace plan and is serving the readers with the document as it was written.
AGREEMENT ON THE OUTSTANDING ISSUES OF RESPONSIBILITY SHARING
THE POST-ENTEBBE DRAFT
1- The Presidency
– During the Transitional Period, the President of the revitalized TGoNU shall be as follows:
- H.E Salva Kiir Mayardiit shall continue as the President of the Republic of South Sudan.
- There shall be four Vice Presidents of the Republic of South Sudan, First Vice President and three Vice Presidents.
- The Chairman of the SPLM/A-IO Dr. Riek Machar Teny shall assume the position of the First Vice President of the Republic of South Sudan.
- The Incumbent TGoNU shall nominate two Vice Presidents.
- Other Parties and Entities (SSOA, FDs & OPP as a bloc) shall select one Vice President who shall be a woman.
– Apart from the First Vice President, there shall be no hierarchy among the Vice Presidents and they shall all be of the same ranking.
– In addition to collegial decision making and responsibility sharing between the President and Vice Presidents, the powers and functions of the First Vice Presidents, and Vice President shall be delineated along the provisions of the ARCSS 2015
– The First Vice President and the Vice Presidents shall oversee the Cabinet Clusters as follows:
- First Vice President: Governance Cluster.
- Vice President: Economic Cluster
- Vice President: Services Delivery Cluster
- Vice President: Infrastructure
2 – The Revitalized TGoNU
– The Council of Ministers shall be comprised of forty five ($%) Ministers organized in Four Clusters
– While the thirty (30) Ministerial Positions of the Incumbent TGoNU shall continue to be shared by the parties currently participating in Incumbent TGoNU, the additional 15 Ministers shall be selected as follow:
- SPLM/A-IO: 12 Ministers
- SSOA: 2 Ministers
- OPP: 1 Miniter.
– There shall be ten (10) Deputy Ministers in the following Ministries:
- Foreign Affairs
- Justice and Constitutional Affairs
- Agriculture and Food Security
- General Education and Instruction
- Public Services and Human Resource Development
- Lands, Housing and Urban Development
– Deputy Minister shall be allocated as follows:
- SPLM/A-IO: 3 deputy ministers
- SSOA: 1 Deputy Minister
- FDs: 1 Deputy Minister
- OPP: 1 Deputy Minister
– No fewer than three (3) OF THE Deputy Ministers shall be women.
– No other Ministers or Deputy Ministers shall be appointed during the Transitional Period.
3 – The Transitional National Legislature:
– The Transitional National Legislature Assembly (TNL) shall consist of the Transitional National Assembly (TNLA) and the Council of States.
– Both the current Transitional National Assembly (TNLA) and the Council of States shall continue for the Transitional Period.
– 150 members shall be added to the TNLA and that be allocated as follows among the three political groups joining the incumbent TGoNU:
- SPLM/A-IO: 100 members.
- SSOA: 40 members
- OPP: 10 members
– Twenty members shall be added to the Council of States that shall be allocated as follow among the three political groups joining the TGoNU:
- – SPLM/A-IO: 40 members
- SSOA: 05 members
- OPP: 03 members
- FDs: 02 members.
– Decisions of the TNLA and the Council of States in all matters pertaining to the peace agreement and national budget shall be adopted by consensus.
4 – States of the Republic of South Sudan:
– The current 32 states of South Sudan shall continue as temporary states of the Republic of South Sudan until the final decision on number and bounderies of the states is made by the inclusive Boundary Commission (IBC).
– Immediately upon the signing of this Agreement, the Revitalized TGoNU shall, taking into account the decision of 55th Extra-Ordinary Session of the IGAD Council of Ministers held in Addis Ababa, Ethipoia, January 30-31, 2016, appoint the IBC whose functions shall be to review thye establishment of new states and their boundaries and to make recommendations for addressing the consequences of these changes.
– The IBC shall consist of 15 persons with necessary skills and knowledge to undertake its functions: 12 South Sudanese, atleast five of whom shall be women, and 3 representatives of the regional gurarantors of the Agreement. The 12 South Sudanese shall be appointed by the President in agreement with the First Vice President and the Vice Presidents. The IBC sgall be chaired by a judge of the Supreme Court of South Sudan and may retain the services of a team of experts.
– The IBC shall complete its work within 180 days, and shall make recommendations on adjustments to be made to the number and boundaries of States during the Transitional Period. Thereafter it shall be dissolved. The above period may be extended with good cause.
– To enhance its efficiency, the IBC shall establish three teams, each consisting of five representatives and relevant experts, to be, deployed at locations it will designate.
– The recommendations of the IBC shall be taken into account during the permanent constitution making-process.
5 – States and Local Governments
– The Responsibility sharing ratio at state level and local government level shall be as follow:
- Incumbent TGoNU: 55%
- SPLM/A-IO: 25%
- SSOA: 10%
- OPP: 10%.
– States and local governments shall be disowned and reconstituted as per the responsibility sharing formula stated above.
– In sharing State and local positions Parties shall take into account the relative prominence each Party has in the respective State or Payam and effective administration of that unit
6 – General:
– This Agreement shall prevail on contradictory or incompatible provisions of ARCSS and the Revised Bridging Proposal.