Resolutions By The 28th Extraordinary Summit of the IGAD Heads of State and Government
Nov 8, 2014(Nyamilepedia) — The IGAD Assembly of Heads of State and Government held its 28th Extra-Ordinary Summit on 6th and 7th November 2014 at the National Palace in Addis Ababa, under the Chairmanship of H.E. Hailemariam Dessalegn, the Prime Minister of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia and current Chairperson of the IGAD Assembly, to discuss the situation in the Republic of South Sudan.
The Assembly was attended by H.E. Yoweri Kaguta Museveni, President of the Republic of Uganda; H.E. Omar Hassan al-Bashir, President of the Republic of Sudan; H.E. Ismaïl Omar Guelleh, President of the Republic of Djibouti; H.E. Salva Kiir Mayardit, President of the Republic of South Sudan; H.E. Hassan Sheikh Mohamud, President of the Federal Republic of Somalia; and H.E. Uhuru Kenyatta, President of the Republic of Kenya.
The Summit was also attended by Dr. Dlamini Nkosazana Dlamini Zuma, Chairperson of the African Union Commission; Amb. (Eng.) Mahboub Maalim, Executive Secretary of IGAD; the IGAD Special Envoys for South Sudan, Amb. Seyoum Mesfin of Ethiopia, Gen. Lazaro Sumbeiywo of Kenya and Gen. Mohammed Ahmed Mustafa El Dabi of Sudan; Representatives of the United Nations, the People’s Republic of China, Denmark, Japan, the European Union, the Troika (the Governments of Norway, United States and United Kingdom) and the IGAD Partners Forum (IPF).
The Summit made the following resolutions:
- Upon the request of the warring Parties, the Government of the Republic of South Sudan and the SPLM/A (In Opposition), to be granted additional time to conduct consultations with their respective constituencies on the agreed agenda of the 28th Extra-Ordinary Summit of the IGAD Heads of State and Government, the Assembly accepts the need for a further period of 15 days to be accorded to the Parties to complete consultations on these matters.
- The Parties commit to an unconditional, complete and immediate end to all hostilities, and to bring the war to an end, as of the date of this Resolution. The Parties further commit to the immediate cessation of the recruitment and mobilization of civilians.
- Any violation of the cessation of the hostilities by any party will invite the following collective action by the IGAD region against those responsible for such violations, which will include, but are not limited to:
- the enactment of asset freeze.
- the enactment of travel bans within the region
- denial of the supply of arms and ammunition, and any other material that could be used in war
- Further, the IGAD region shall, without further reference to the warring Parties, take the necessary measures to directly intervene in South Sudan to protect life and restore peace and stability.
- Should it be necessary to implement these measures, the IGAD region calls on the Peace and Security Council (PSC) of the African Union, the Security Council of the United Nations, and the entire international community, to render all possible assistance in the implementation of these measures.
- Issued on 7th November 2014 in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia