BENTIU: Controversial Recapture Of Key Oil City Of Bentiu (On records)!

OilstoragefacilitieatBentiuUnityStateSouth_Sudan__6_January_11_Charlton_Doki_0File photo: oil storage facility in Bentiu (Charlton Doki, Upperniletimes.net)

South Sudan’s military has recaptured the oil hub of Bentiu – one of just two rebel-held cities.

Source: BBC News Africa

The BBC’s Andrew Harding says it appears Bentiu was recaptured from rebels with just a “small amount of resistance”

January 10, 2014[Juba] — Army spokesman Philip Aguer said the final resistance – a tank protecting a bridge to the city – had been overcome at 14:30 local time (11:30 GMT)..

Rebel leader Riek Machar told AFP his forces had withdrawn to save civilians but vowed to fight on…

Col Aguer said that from Friday afternoon, all the government forces would be focused on recapturing Bor – the other city under rebel control.(…)

For More: Continue Reading ->

——————————————————————————————————————————————————

Government forces dislodged at the outskirt of Bentiu

Source: The Upper Nile Time

Written by Bith Jonathan

January 10, 2014, [Bentiu] – The South Sudan rebels under the command of Maj. Gen Koang Chuol Ranley have today repulsed an attack by Government forcs who attempted to take over Bentiu and its oil field.

The SPLA forces loyal to Salva Kiir Mayardiit retreated towards Mayom County, a town that fall under their command yesterday morning. The army was said to have suffered a lot of casualties this evening as rebels led by Maj. Gen. Koang continued to pursue them after their heavy defeat in Kalgach. 5 armoured tanks and 12 army vehicles were captured.(…)

For More: Continue Reading ->

—————————————————————————————————————————————————-

South Sudan Rebel Leader Vows To Fight On

Source: NASDAQ/AFP

By Dow Jones Business News

Janaury 10, 2014 [JUBA] — South Sudan rebel leader Riek Machar confirmed Friday that rebel forces had lost control of the key northern oil town of Bentiu, but vowed his fighters would continue their battle against the government.
“We withdrew from Bentiu, but it was to avoid fighting in the streets and save civilian lives. We fight on, we will continue the battle,” Mr. Machar told AFP by satellite telephone from an undisclosed location in the country.

“Our forces made a tactical withdrawal to avoid civilian casualties,” Lul Ruai Koang said.(…)

For More: Continue Reading ->

——————————————————————————————————————————————————

Tell us what you think

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.