Feb 24, 2021(Nyamilepedia) — The United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres condemned the looting of a UNAMID team-site in North Darfur after its handover to the Sudanese authorities in January 2021.
In a statement on Tuesday, the UN spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric said that UNSG condemns the looting of Saraf Omrah site in Darfur.
“The Secretary-General condemns the looting of the first site, Saraf Omrah in Darfur, handed over to the Sudanese authorities following the end of the UNAMID mandate in December 2020,” said Stéphane Dujarric UN Spokesman.
According to the UN spokesperson, the Saraf Omra site is intended to serve as a vocational training centre adding that unknown assailants have dashed that opportunity.
The statement urged the Sudanese authorities to investigate the attacks.
“The Secretary-General calls on the Sudanese authorities to investigate the attacks and ensure sufficient security presences for subsequent handovers so that facilities are preserved for civilian use,” reads the statement.
The attack is the third since the start of the UNAMID’s drawdown process from Darfur in May last year.
UNAMID officially handed over the Saraf Omra site to the Sudan authorities on 21 January 2021, in the presence of the local officials and local community leaders.
The hybrid mission terminated its mandate as of 31 December 2020. It has a six-month period to complete the withdrawal of all uniformed and civilian UNAMID personnel by 30 June 2021.