For Immediate Releases.
July 23, 2016(Nyamilepedia) —— From July 18-23, 2016, the Nuer Supreme Council, the highest organ of the Nuer Community initiated serious consultations by phone and face –to –face meetings with the leaderships of the Nuer Community in the United States of America, Canada, Australia, EU, Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan, Egypt, Uganda and the South Sudan, regarding the prevailing conflict in South Sudan.
During these exhaustive consultations, the Nuer Supreme Council arrived to very important and comprehensive resolutions based on the needs and demands of the Nuer Community and the people of South Sudan as its see fitting for the wellbeing and harmonious coexistence all South Sudanese and to ensure peaceful and Stable South Sudan.
The Council resolved as follow:
- We condemn the “escalating violence,” which started on July 7th, 2016 in South Sudan’s capital between the two warring parties; and the relentless targeting attacks on innocent men, women and children, based on their ethnicities by security forces and therefore we demand an immediate end to fighting among armed groups.”
- We condemns any attempt to harm or assassinate South Sudan’ First Vice President and Chairman of the SPLM/A –IO, Dr. Riek Machar Teny by the leadership of the government South Sudan. And we would like to make our position very clear, that we stand by Mr. Machar and we fully support the SPLM/A-IO’s agenda for peaceful resolution of the conflict in South Sudan and the Nuer nation is ready to resist attempts contrary.
- The Nuer Supreme Council and the entire Nuer Community stands behind and support the SPLM/SPLA-IO under the chairmanship of H.E General Riek Machar Teny-Dhurgon until the end of Transitional Government of National Unity period. We object any attempt to interrupt the implementation of peace agreement by illegally replacing Machar with none SPLM/A- IO member.
- We condemns strongest possible terms attacks and targeting of the UNIMSS personnel, humanitarians workers, and the looting of WFP stores, destructions of United Nation’s properties, blockage of humanitarians access to the needy and intimidation and the imprisonments of the SPLM/A –IO’s members and members of the Nuer Community by the government of South Sudan security forces in Juba.
- We fully endorsed and supported the deployment of regional intervention force to South Sudan to serve as a buffer between the opposition and government forces.
In this regard, we would like to stress that such as deployment of regional intervention force is urgently needed and for it’s the only viable option to ensure protection and movement of civilians and other strategic infrastructures because the current Transitional Government of National Unity:
- Failed to protect and allow free movement of civilians but instead resorted to killing, raping, intimating and imprisonment of civil population and it can no longer be trusted;
- No truth between the warring parties and therefore a regional intervention force would be the bridge to help garner trust between the warring parties and communities;
- We strongly recommended that this proposed regional intervention force be given a full mandate including use force when necessary to ensure stability in the country and the protection of civilians.
- We supported a comprehensive armed embargo on South Sudan including supply, sale, transfer, maintenance, and operation of all weapons, ammunition, military vehicles & equipment, and any other related services and targeted sanctions on individuals on both parties who stand obstacles to meaningful implementation of the peace agreement.
- We strongly support peaceful resolution to the conflict in South Sudan and condemned those who encouraged violence approach as means to bring peace and stability to the war-torn young nation.
- Given what happened in Juba since July 7, 2016 onward, we resolved that peace guarantors for the Resolution of the Conflict in South Sudan are fully liable for the wellbeing and security of the members of the SPLM/A-IO in Juba. Any life loss among them, therein, during these times, the guarantors are fully responsible because they have failed to live up to their commitments and duties in granting safety to the IO members who gone to Juba to implement peace through guarantors’ assurance.
- The Nuer Supreme Council and the entire Nuer Community still call for the revocation of illegal 28 states unilaterally declared by President Salva Kiir on October 2nd, 2015. We stressed that this is a clear violation of the Resolution on the Conflict in South Sudan.
Furthermore, we agreed with all peace-loving nations and institutions who called “the UN Security Council to adhere to the Code of Conduct, endorsed by 112 governments, which calls upon all members of the Council not to vote against a credible draft resolution aimed at preventing or halting mass atrocities” being committed by any government.
The Nuer Supreme Council can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org