August 14th 2019 (Nyamilepedia) – A South Sudan holdout armed opposition group has said it repulsed several government offensives against its bases inside the country.
The South Sudan United Front Army (SSUF/A) led by former army chief General Paul Malong Awan said in a statement that government forces attacked their bases in several areas including one in Nimule.
“South Sudan United Front/Army’s leadership would like to notify her entire membership, the public in general and the International Community that, acting on orders of Gen. Salva Kiir Mayardit, a sizable number of forces belonging to South Sudan People’s Defense Forces formerly the SPLA have started to attack our forces at their base inside South Sudan today,” a statement issued on Tuesday by the group’s spokesman, Sunday de’John, partly read.
The statement said government forces defeated by the rebel group were reorganizing after they were scattered and were possibly planning for more attacks.
“The fighting commenced at midday and has dragged-on until late evening today, August 13, 2019. Our intelligence Sources have confirmed that the elements belonging to SSPDF are reorganizing for more robust attacks aimed at our forces after they were repulse with heavy knock,” it said.
“In a related development, the same command through its Military Intelligence Operations wing attacked our base around Nimule last month killing 2 of our soldiers with subsequent clashes thereafter and of course with the said attacking forces incurring losses,” the statement added.
The statement said the government offensives will lead to a all-out war which will jeopardize the current humanitarian situation which is already worse.