May 10th 2019 (Nyamilepedia) – South Sudan army on Friday denied claims that it is at odds with the country’s National Security Service (NSS) over how to deal with the planned protests due to take place next week.
This came after social media reports that the South Sudan army is at odds with the national security service on how to deal with the May 16 protests. The reports claimed the army was against the national security’s plan to dismantle the protests and use force against the protests.
Social media activists have called for nation-wide protests on May 16 in a bid to try to remove President Salva Kiir Mayardiit – whose tenure has been characterized by war and corruption – from power.
Speaking to the Nyamilepedia on Friday from the capital Juba, South Sudan army spokesperson, Maj. Gen. Lul Ruai Koang, denied that the army is in disagreement with the NSS over how to deal with protesters.
“The Reported disagreement between SSPDF and NSS was fabricated by Facebook Warriors and other rumor mongers,” Lul said on phone from the capital Juba.
“Logically speaking, disagreeing on how to handle an imaginary event is like putting the cart before the Horse,” Lul added.
He further said issues to do with protesters and granting permission to their protests is not the jurisdiction of the army and the national security service saying it is the job of the police service.
“Granting permission to [the] would be protesters to hold demonstrations is the prerogative of South Sudan National Police Service,” Lul said.
“At this stage, SSPDF is not aware whether or not SSNPS had been approached by leaders of would be protesters to give them permission to hold peaceful demonstrations,” he added.