fbpx
Crimes and murders Eastern Equatoria State Latest News Nyamilepedia South Sudan South Sudan news

Save the Children condemns brutal killing of aid worker in Eastern Equatoria

Juba, South Sudan,

June 24, 2021 – Save the Children says it is shocked and deeply saddened by the brutal killing of a contracted school guard on the evening of Sunday 20 June in Eastern Equatoria State.

Save the Children condemns brutal killing of aid worker in Eastern Equatoria
Save the Children Country Director in South Sudan, Rama Hansraj (photo credit: Eye Radio)

The organization says the incident comes after two Save the Children staff were also killed earlier this year.

In a press statement seen by Nyamilepedia, the guard was shot and killed instantly by an unknown number of gunmen while protecting a school compound after-hours.

It says the gunmen went on to steal property from the school including learning materials.

The attack happened in the evening when school children had departed for home.

Save the Children which supports 382 schools and provides education to 95,000 in collaboration with development partners says the organization the deceased whose identity was not revealed was killed while on duty.

Save the Children Country Director in South Sudan, Rama Hansraj called on authorities in the area to bring perpetrators to justice.  

“We are mourning the loss of a colleague who was killed in the line of duty and condemns this senseless act of violence. Our sincere condolences are with his families, friends, and colleagues.

“Humanitarian workers put their lives on the line in the service of children and families in South Sudan, and this is no exception. Save the Children condemns the killing of any humanitarian worker, and calls for those responsible to be brought to justice,” the organization said Thursday.

“We were shocked to learn that this act of violence took place at a school. All children have the right to access a safe education and feel safe, and no child should fear physical harm at or on the way to school.

“We call on the government of South Sudan to take all necessary actions to protect humanitarian workers in the country and to ensure schools are particularly safe. There needs to be a deterrent to those responsible from continuing attacks against civilians, including children, and to be held accountable under South Sudanese and applicable regional and international laws.”

Making reference to a report by OCHA, Save the Children reveals that statistically, a total of 128 humanitarians, mostly South Sudanese, have lost their lives while providing humanitarian assistance to people since the conflict broke out in 2013.

Related posts

South Sudan: Citizens of Mundri East Prefer to Stay In The Bush Than To Return To Their Previous Homes

Nyamilepedia

Government disqualifies over 400 fake academic credentials of own employees

Staff Writer

Government Forces blocked The SPLA [IO] at Adok el Bar Port.

Editorial Team.

Tell us what you think

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

//daichoho.com/4/4323504
%d bloggers like this: