March 24, 2020 (Nyamilepedia) — South Sudan’s coronavirus taskforce has announced the allocation of $3 million to South Sudanese students studying in coronavirus-affected countries.
The allocation was announced by the Undersecretary in the Ministry of Health, Matur Makur Koryom, following a meeting of the taskforce chaired by the First Vice President Dr. Riek Machar in Juba on Monday.
“On the requirement of the South Sudanese students studying in COVID-19 affected countries, the taskforce resolved to allocate 3 million US dollars to carter the need of these students,” he said.
The taskforce on Monday also decided to close South Sudan’s international airports to international flights as well as international border crossings with neighboring countries.
The taskforce urged the public not to panic over the decision to ban entrance and exiting of the country as supply flights and cargo trucks are exempted from the ban.
“The taskforce further urges the traders and the public not to panic because as we close the borders there’s also exemption to the flow of cargo and goods trucks and fuel trucks into the country,” Makur who is also the spokesman of the taskforce further said.
South Sudan is one of the few countries around the world with no confirmed cases of the virus which began from the Chinese city of Wuhan in December last year.
A number of suspected cases in the country’s capital Juba and some states have tested negative for the novel coronavirus also known as COVID-19.
South Sudan’s neighbors, Kenya, Sudan, Uganda and Ethiopia, have all confirmed cases of the virus.