Declaration of Principles between the Revitalized Government of National Unit
(R.TGONU) and South Sudan Opposition Movements Alliance (SSOMA)
Oct 15, 2020(Nyamilepedia) — On Wednesday, October 7th, 2020, President Salva Kiir, who received a medal for “Good Governance” following the signing of the Sudan peace agreement under his auspice on Saturday, October 3, 2020, dispatched a delegation in high spirit to Rome under the leadership of his Minister of Presidential Affairs, Nhial Deng Nhial, to meet the leaders of the South Sudan Opposition Movement Alliance (SSOMA).
The groups met in Rome between October 9th and 12th, and were mediated by the Roman Catholic mediating body, Sant’Egidio, with hopes to sign a re-commitment to the Cessation of Hostilities Agreement they signed in January this year but the talks ended in vain; however, the parties drafted the following Declaration of Principles and agreed on most parties except the parts that are highlighted in square brackets.
Begin the Declaration of Principles …..
Preamble | SSOMA
We, the representatives of the Revitalized Transitional Government of National Unity of South Sudan (R-TGONU) and the South Sudan Opposition Movements Alliance (SSOMA), affirm the following principles:
1. Establishment of a democratic, and federal system of governance anchored on principles of separation of power and wealth sharing between various levels of governance in the country;
2. The national identity shall be based on respecting ethnic and regional diversity and communal rights including the rights of communities to preserve their history develop their language, promote their culture and expression of the identities;
3. Drafting of a permanent constitution, starting with the process of:
- Consultation with all the stakeholders including the political parties, chiefs, faith-based organizations, civil society, women groups, and youth;
- shall constitute the National Constitution Review Commission (NCRC);
- To appoint a preparatory committee for convene a National Constitutional Conference (NCC);
- [Subjection of the Draft Constitution to referendum/SSOMA | | Constituent assembly/R-TGONU];
4. Establishment of an high level, competent and effective oversight mechanism that control revenues collection, budgeting, revenue allocation and expenditure. The oversight mechanism may solicit technical and advisory resources on economic governance from the regional and international community. The mechanism shall be guided by principles of mutual consent and accountability,
5. Civil and public service reforms shall be designed in such a way as to ensure that recruitment is based on qualification, experience, meritocracy, and diversity;
6. The parties shall work to expedite the formation of the Commission for Truth Reconciliation and Healing, Hybrid Court of South Sudan and Compensation and Reparation Authority;
7. The land in South Sudan belongs and owned by the indigenous communities and its use shall be regulated by law;
8. [the borders and boundaries of South Sudan shall be as of 01/01/1956 SSOMA ] [delete / R-TOGONU]
9. [Design and implement security sector reforms, security sector of the country transformation to include structuring and constitution of institutions/R.TGONU] [Establishment of a national professional security sector representing the ethnic diversity of the Country/SSOMA];
10. The regional and international partners shall take an active participation in the Rome initiative and in subsequent implementation of the agreement;
Done in Rome, Italy, on 12“” October, 2020, in three identical copies.
For the R-TGONU – Minister of Presidential Affairs | H. E. Nhial Deng Nhial
NAS Chairman – Member of SSOMA Leadership Council Thomas Cirillo Swaka
NDM – PF Chairman – Member of SSOMA Leadership Council Amanuel Yoanes Yor Akol Ajawin
UDRM/A Chairman – Member of SSOMA Leadership Council Thomas Tut Doap
SSNMC Chairman – Member of SSOMA Leadership Council Kwaje Morri Lasu
…… End ……
For records, SSOMA was divided into two groups composing of four groups under the leadership of Gen Thomas Cirilo Swaka and two groups (SSUF/A of Paul Malong and R-SPLM of Pagan Amum) under Gen. Paul Malong Awan and Gen. Oyay Deng Ajak who represented Cde. Pagan Amum. The group of Paul Malong did not make any significant progress and no DOP was released or mentioned!