March 19, 2021(Nyamilepedia) — Former government employees have threatened to hold demonstrations next week across South Sudan if their benefits are not paid.
These employees were relieved of their duties in February last year.
The claims-committee is demanding the payment of their post-service benefits ranging between $40,000 and $50,000.
Peter Gatkuoth Chuol, the committee’s spokesperson and former advisor for peace and reconciliation for the defunct Southern Liech said that they would hold demonstrations to demand for their rights.
He added that the president’s press secretary had told them that Kiir had already written to the ministry of finance directing it to pay them.
“We demand our rights, and we are at the crossroads between the Ministry of Finance and the Presidency. We have been told by the President’s press secretary that Salva Kiir sent a letter to the Ministry of Finance directing the minister to pay the dues, but that is incorrect,” Gatkuoth said.
He added, “On Tuesday, we met with the deputy minister of finance, and he told us that there is no letter from the presidency regarding our financial dues. It is a pity that the presidency is lying to its former officials.”
According to Paul Deng Lueth, former Melut County Commissioner and representative of commissioners in the former 32 states, the economic condition of the former officials is dire as many of them are unemployed.
“When the 32 states were dissolved by a presidential decree, former officials arrived in Juba and most of them live in rental houses. But currently, they have no source of income, and because of debts, some of them were imprisoned and four former officials have died,” he lamented.
The committee had sought to meet with the president last week but it was blocked.