fbpx
Breaking News Italy News Peace Process South Sudan South Sudan news

SPLM/A-IO prepares to head to Rome to join talks with the hold-out oppositions

Nov 28, 2020(Nyamilepedia) — South Sudan’s main armed opposition, the SPLM/A-IO, under the leadership of the country’s First Vice President, Dr. Riek Machar Teny, has announced that its delegation to Rome peace talks is preparing to leave by the deadline.

South Sudan's ex-vice president and former rebel leader Riek Machar exits a plane as he arrives to Juba to meet President Salva Kiir, at the Juba international airport, South Sudan, September 9, 2019. REUTERS/Samir Bol
South Sudan’s First Vice President and former rebel leader Riek Machar exits a plane as he arrives in Juba to meet President Salva Kiir, at the Juba international airport, South Sudan, September 9, 2019. (Photo credit: REUTERS/Samir Bol)

According to the Minister of Petroleum, Hon. Puot Kang Chuol, who spoke on behalf of the group on Friday, Nov 27 2020, the SPLM/A-IO is recommitting to peace talks as part of the RGoNU to ensure that guns are silenced once and for all.

“The last resolution is that we reconfirm our commitment to Rome initiative and the delegation of the SPLM/SPLA (IO) shall be leaving tomorrow to attend the meeting in Rome.” Said Hon. Puot Kanag, the Minister of Petroleum.

Although the SPLM/A-IO has been battling a government embolden former officer in Kajo-Keji since October, the SPLM/A-IO is recommitting to this initiative to bring NAS and others groups, who are still fighting the government on board, to silent the gun.

“Our re-commitment to this initiative is that we want the guns to go silent all over the country,” Kang added.

“We want everybody, all the political forces to be part and parcel of the agreement so that we take our country out of the current that  situation that we are in,” he continued.

Speaking to Nyamilepedia on Saturday from Brussels, the official spokesperson of the South Sudan Opposition Movement Alliance(SSOMA), Deng Vanang, confirmed that the talks will resume on December 2, 2020.

“The peace talks will resume in Italy on December 2, 2020,” Deng Vanang said.

“We will discuss the re-commitment of the parties to the talks to the Cessation of Hostility Agreement (COHA) signed in 2017 and recommitted to by the parties during the previous round of talks.” He continued.

SSOMA and the government delegations have held talks in Rome previously in September and October; however, the talks produced very little progress.

The October talks ended with the Declaration of Principles between the R.TGONU and SSOMA with hope to continue in November; however, the November talks, which only involved the military wing of SSOMA, ended abruptly after the group accused the SSPDF of attacking their position in the Equatorian region.

Related posts

World vision ‘deeply concerned’ over South Sudan unaccompanied minors in East Africa

Editors

Opposition group, Lou-Nuer community condemns Machar’s land transfer order

Editors

Machar, finance minister discuss economic reforms

Editors

Tell us what you think

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: