Ugandan traders in juba protest the killing of their colleagues

Oct 06, 2020(Nyamilepedia) — Ugandan traders in South Sudan’s Gumbo market in Juba closed their shops to protest the killings of their colleagues.

Shops of Ugandan traders in South Sudan's Juba (Photo credit: supplied/Nyamilepedia)

Shops of Ugandan traders in South Sudan’s Juba (Photo credit: supplied/Nyamilepedia)

On September 27th, three Ugandan businessmen were abducted by unknown gunmen as they were on their way to Gumbo market. These abductors demanded a ransom of three million South Sudan pounds.

Two of these traders were killed on Tuesday night while one managed to escaped on Wednesday night.

According to Okot, Tusiime who is undergoing treatment in Juba, Mayende was killed first and Ssebagala was killed later after he was hit on the head with a hammer.

Tusiime said he managed to escape while the kidnappers were carrying the bodies of his colleagues to dump them in the bush.

According to these traders, they had managed to fundraise over SSP 3 million which was reportedly sent to the kidnappers, but the traders did not receive any feedback

The traders now want the government to intervene and help search for the two bodies.

“We won’t open food shops in Gumbo market until the bodies of our colleagues are recovered.” said Agnes Namuli, a trader in the market.

“Help get the dead bodies so that we can get the bodies. The other appeal is the government should improve the security along the road as it was previously,” said Hassan Musa another trader in the market.

Aisha Bako, another businesswoman says that several cargo trucks carrying merchandise from Uganda to South Sudan have parked in Elegu in a protest demanding for justice and their safety.

These traders also claim that four other traders were kidnapped on Thursday and their whereabouts remain unknown.

The UPDF 4th Division spokesman Maj Telesphor Turyamumanya condemned the armed violence being meted against Ugandans in South Sudan which he attributed to criminal activities of rebel remnants.

Daniel Justin Boula said that South Sudanese National Police Service is still carrying out investigations and it will release a statement once the investigations are concluded.

Several foreign nationals including aid workers have been killed in targeted attacks which makes South Sudan one of the most dangerous operating environments for foreigners in the world.

More than 115 Incidents of violence, intimidation, arbitrary detention and kidnappings have been reported since 2013.

Tell us what you think

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.