No disarmament for Jonglei this season – army spokesman

Weapons collected from civilians in Lakes state (Photo credit: unknown)

Weapons collected from civilians in Lakes state (Photo credit: unknown)

August 15, 2020 (Nyamilepedia) – South Sudan army spokesman Major General Lul Ruai Koang has said that no disarmament plan for the country’s Jonglei state which has been in ethnic violence since earlier this year.

The comments were made by the army spokesman during an exclusive interview with Nyamilepedia this morning.

“Even if there is to be disarmament in Jonglei state, it will not happen this season,” Lul said.

Lul said the reason is that most of the Greater Upper Nile would not be accessible by road which would make it difficult for the disarmament to take place as force s would need to be transported to the designated areas where disarmament would take place.

“You know most of the greater Upper Nile has no roads. So, you cannot do effective disarmament during rainy season anywhere in the Republic of South Sudan because it cannot be meaningful disarmament,” he said.

“So, if there is a comprehensive disarmament plan for Jonglei state, it will happen during the spring,” he added.