Kiir orders “temporary” suspension of disarmament in Tonj
August 13, 2020 (Nyamilepedia) – South Sudan’s president, Salva Kiir Mayardit, has ordered the temporary suspension of the ongoing deadly disarmament in the country’s Warrap state, several security sources with direct knowledge told Nyamilepedia this afternoon.
South Sudan army in late July announced that a disarmament process would take place throughout the country beginning from Warrap state after a number of cycles of intercommunal violence which has been blamed for the death of hundreds of people this year.
Earlier this week, fighting took place between the forces carrying on the disarmament and armed civilians. The fighting was reportedly triggered by the army’s brutality against civilians in the state.
The fighting resulted in the killing of about 127 people including 45 members of the armed forces and 82 civilians.
Speaking to Nyamilepedia this afternoon, two military sources in Bilpam said the temporary suspension of the deadly process came after traditional leaders and community chiefs wrote to President Salva Kiir Mayardit asking him to remove the head of the military intelligence whom they accused of responsibility on the ongoing crisis.
“The disarmament has temporarily been suspended,” the first source said. “This is because community leaders from Warrap who are in Juba have come to President Salva Kiir Mayardit and asked him to either replace the commanders and the intelligence chief or suspend the process.”
The other source confirmed the suspension and said the “SSPDF soldiers were directed to withdraw from where they were initially based.”