South Sudan confirms first COVID-19 fatality as 28 more cases reported
May 14, 2020 (Nyamilepedia) – South Sudan government has confirmed the country’s first COVID-19-related death as the ministry of health said this evening that 28 more people have tested positive for the deadly virus.
The government did not identify the victim, but Nyamilepedia has learned the death of Brigadier General Madeng Gatduel, a senior South Sudan army general working as logistics officer at the army headquarters in Bilpam, of coronavirus.
General Madeng is a former county commissioner of Unity state’s Mayom county. He fall sick from coronavirus last week and was treated at a private hospital before he could be evacuated to the military hospital at al-Qiada were he succumbed to the virus.
The ministry of health said all the 28 people who tested positive for the virus are South Sudanese. With the latest infections, South Sudan, the last country in East Africa to report coronavirus cases, has 231 cases of the virus.
Doctors have also accused the government of not reporting COVID-19 fatalities which they said would have raised awareness within the country’s population.