General Puljang says he is not reporting to Juba
April 25, 2020 (Nyamilepedia) – South Sudan militia commander and commander of special forces General Mathew Puljang said on Saturday that he will not report to Juba after he was ordered by the country’s army chief to return to the headquarters, sources close to him said.
Yesterday, General Gabriel Jok Riak, the South Sudan People’s Defense Forces (SSDPF) Chief of Defense Forces ordered Gen. Puljang to report to Juba saying the Special Forces will be commanded under the country’s fourth infantry division based in Rubkona.
The reasons behind the recall were not immediately clear but a copy of the order seen by Nyamilepedia cites that the forces previously commander by Gen. Puljang are part of the army’s fourth division headquartered in Bentiu and ordered the command in Bentiu to take over the responsibility.
“This message serves to inform you that the special forces of DIVISION FOUR under command of General Mathew Puljang are part of the division 4,” the order partly reads.
“The command of the division four (4) to take over the command of the forces with immediate effect,” it added.
However, speaking to Nyamilepedia this afternoon, a member of Puljang aides said the general was not willing to show up in Juba saying certain arrangements were still to be made in regard to his forces as most of them are still to be integrate.
“General Puljang is not going to Juba now. There are many arrangements which are supposed to be implemented in regards to the integration of the forces since 2013. Those arrangements have not been completed,” the aide who refused to be named said.
“As result, General Pul is not returning to Juba and we have today sent a message to the chief of defense forces in Juba informing him about our decision,” he added.