South Sudan allocates over $5 million to fight coronavirus

South Sudan’s president Salva Kiir attends a medals awarding ceremony for long serving servicemen of the South Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLA) in the Bilpam, military headquarters in Juba. Photo: Reuters

March 22, 2020 (Nyamilepedia) — Coronavirus-free South Sudan has allocated more than $5 million to fight the pandemic as neighboring countries confirms positive cases, senior government officials said today.

The world’s youngest country has no confirmed cases of the virus. Three suspected cases – two in Juba and one in Upper Nile state capital Malakal – tested negative last week.

President Salva Kiir ordered schools, univerisites as well as large gatherings to shutdown and formed a high-level committee headed by him and deputized by First Vice President Dr. Riek Machar to lead the fight against the virus.

Speaking to Nyamilepedia this evening, information minister Michael Makuei said the government has allocated $5.4 million to confront the virus.

“Yes it is true that the president has directed for the allocation of $5.4 million to fight the coronavirus,” Makuei said.

He further added that South Sudan is prepared to fight the virus if it happen to breakout at anytime.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply