Two people suspected to be infected with coronavirus discharged from Khartoum hospital

Medical staff members wearing protective clothing at the Wuhan Red Cross Hospital. (Hector RETAMAL / AFP)

February 2nd 2020 (Nyamilepedia) – Two people who have been under solitary confinement for suspected coronavirus infection in Khartoum have been discharged from hospital by Sudanese authorities on Saturday, sources with knowledge have said.

Last week, the Sudanese minister of health, Akram Ali al-Tom told reporters that two people suspected to be infected with the deadly disease were being monitored saying the two who recently returned from the Chinese city of Wuhan where the virus first started entered the country through Ethiopia and Egypt.

“We received two suspected cases came from China through Cairo and Addis Ababa … we want to stress here that the two cases haven’t been confirmed yet but we take the samples and then send them abroad with the help of the World Health Organization (WHO) to test it,” Ali said,

“We are on high precautions with the different authorities including the sea, land and airports as well as the ministries of interior, migration and others,” he explained.

However, speaking to Nyamilepedia this evening, a health ministry source said the two men who were being held at a solitary area at a military hospital in Khartoum were discharged from hospital on Saturday.

“They have been discharged from the military hospital in Omdurman yesterday,” the source said on Sunday.

Another person who also spoke to us from Khartoum on condition of anonymity confirmed the development saying they were found negative of the virus.

The virus was first detected in the Chinese city of Wuhan in December last year.  It has so far killed over 300 people inside China. First death outside China occurred in Philippines on Saturday.

A total of 7,815 people globally – most of whom in China – have been infected by the virus.

Leave a Reply