November 16th 2019 (Nyamilepedia) – South Sudan government has decried what it said is America’s double standards on the implementation of the revitalized peace agreement in South Sudan.
South Sudan President Salva Kiir Mayardit and main armed opposition leader Dr. Riek Machar Teny met in Uganda last week and decided to extend the pre-transitional period for three months.
The United States government which called for formation of the unity government on November 12th was not happy about the latest extension but they were against a government formation without Machar.
The US was angered when Kiir threatened in September that he will form what would be the Reconstituted Transitional Government of National Unity (R-TGoNU) on November 12th without Dr. Machar who had said he would participate unless pre-transitional tasks were to be in place.
“These are people with double standards, because when the President was talking about the establishment of R-TGoNU, they went on air and said they would not recognize that government if it didn’t include Riek Machar,” Makuei Friday.
“So, we went for negotiations in order to extend or not to extend it and we found ourselves forced by the circumstances to accept the extension so that Riek Machar would be included.
“Now, they came up again and said: ‘This is not acceptable, why extend again?’ What is this double standard?”