Opposition fighters continue to flee cantonment sites over food scarcity – peace monitors
October 30th 2019 (Nyamilepedia) – South Sudan opposition forces assembled in various sites in the country continue to flee because of shortage of food, peace monitoring body, the CTSAMVM, said on Tuesday.
Desta Abiche Ageno, the chairperson of the peace monitoring body said on Tuesday during a meeting in Juba that at least five cantonment sites are being deserted due to lack of food and medicines, adding that efforts to have a unified army is in jeopardy.
“The lack of sufficient logistic support to cantonment sites – especially food and medicine – has not been addressed and CTSAMVM is observing many of those registered forces now leaving designated sites, including Mir-Mir, Kendila, Sue, Ngo Alimah and Pantiit,” Ageno.
South Sudan, the world’s youngest nation, descended into a bloody civil war in December 2013 following a dispute at a national convention of the ruling SPLM party triggering split in the country’s SPLA (now South Sudan People’s Defense Forces – SSPDF) army.
Last year, the warring parties signed a revitalized version of a 2015 peace agreement in Ethiopia to end the war which has killed around half a million and uprooted millions of the country’s 12-million population to IDPs and refugee camps within and outside the country.
The parties are required by a May consensus to form a Reconstituted Transitional Government of National Unity (R-TGoNU) in November which is now yet another subject of dispute between the government and the opposition groups who, unlike the government, wants the action postponed because outstanding issues should first be completed.