Peace monitors “disappointed” over parties’ reluctance to vacate civilian buildings
September 11th 2019 (Nyamilepedia) – The ceasefire monitoring body, CTSAMVM, at its 10th Board Meeting on Wednesday in the capital Juba, expressed its deep disappointment at the reoccupation of civilian buildings by the armed forces, mostly by the SSPDF forces and the SPLA-IO troops.
“Although we had seen a number of vacations of civilian buildings, this process appears to have slowed and CTSAMVM is disappointed to see further occupations in the last month. Of the 36 buildings reported as occupied at the last Board meeting, 3 have been vacated by the SSPDF, but 4 buildings have been newly occupied by the SPLM/A-IO,” said CTSAMVM Chair Maj. Gen. Desta Abiche Ageno.
The CTSAMVM called on the Parties particularly South Sudan government to order its forces, currently occupying 37 civilian buildings, to immediately leave so that the civilian population can return to their homes and continue to live a normal life.
“A total of 37 civilian buildings are now occupied, mostly by government forces. CTSAMVM again urges the Parties to vacate these buildings immediately to enable the people of South Sudan to resume their lives,” he said.
Occupation of civilian buildings as provided for in Chapter II of the Revitalized Agreement on the Resolution of Conflict in South Sudan (R-ARCSS), is considered a violation of the agreement.
The ceasefire monitors, however, commended the Parties to the R-ARCSS for their commitment to the Cessation of Hostilities Agreement.
“The ceasefire continues to hold with no reported incidents of clashes between the Parties to the Revitalized Agreement. This is a considerable achievement by the Parties.”
Adding that, “As we have noted here before, although the implementation of Chapter II has been slow, the evidence from the ground is that there is a genuine desire to support and maintain the ceasefire, and for the Revitalized Agreement to work.”